Good place to go to get fitted for contact lens newbie?

I want contact lenses but since I’ve never tried them before, I want to go somewhere that won’t jsut give me the box and send me on my laowai way.

Anyone know a decent opthomologist around?
Anywhere central Taipei is ok from Tianmu -> Neihu -> Xinyi -> Gonguan whatever

Also I need new glasses (with lenses). I have my lens Rx so anywhere NHI that will just make them, fit me, and send me on my way is fine. Know places? There are like 5 on Shida Rd alone but do those places take NHI? They seem more like just retail shops for glasses… like fashion stuff rather than actual Rx…

[quote=“Lili”]I want contact lenses but since I’ve never tried them before, I want to go somewhere that won’t jsut give me the box and send me on my laowai way.

Anyone know a decent opthomologist around?
Anywhere central Taipei is ok from Tianmu -> Neihu -> Xinyi -> Gongguan whatever

Also I need new glasses (with lenses). I have my lens Rx so anywhere NHI that will just make them, fit me, and send me on my way is fine. Know places? There are like 5 on Shi-Da Rd alone but do those places take NHI? They seem more like just retail shops for glasses… like fashion stuff rather than actual Rx…[/quote]

You can try checking out that place near the police station at gongguan. It’s inside the Leeco outlet shopping mall [googlemaps][/googlemaps]. They give a student discount to NTU students and maybe other students as well.

Leeco 禮客時尚館
02 2362 5556
No. 16號思源街 Jhongjheng District, Taipei City, 100
m.google.com.tw/u/m/d1dcvO

I’m not sure what Lili means, but NHI doesn’t cover glasses. You have to pay for them fully.

In my student days I used to go to one kitty corner of Jinmei night market, their prices were quite good, service very attentive.

Lilli, if you have the prescription, you can also buy bulk disposables at Costco. Most people do that here because with teh air pollution, it is better if you change your contacts promptly.

And yes, NHI gives you no advantage. I mean, lenses are cheap enough as it is, what is it, 600 a box? If you have any special needs, then I’d reccomend the optalmologist downtown, exit 8, Taipei Main Station. 8th or 10th floor, if I am not mistaken.

Also, keep in mind that a contact lens prescription will be different from a glasses prescription, and you need to get ‘fitted’ for contact lenses…so, you can’t use your current glasses prescription to buy them. I’m sure you knew that already but thought I would mention it just in case! :slight_smile:

Yea, glasses I dont care about which is why Im asking for two places if it comes down to that.
I didn’t know NHI doesnt cover opthamology costs. Oh.

Thanks for the suggestions. I’ll try your suggestion, Icon. Apparently I have a slight asthigmatism(?). I think? I don’t know but it says it on my glasses lens Rx. And since Ive never done contacts before, I definitely want a real optamologist.

Lili, are you talking about NHI paying for a visit to an ophthmologist for a new prescription and eye check or NHI paying for glasses?

Also, you may want to reconsider contacts in Taiwan. I wore contacts for 15 years before coming here and stopped after my first year: air pollution, humidity, allergans, and especially going in and out of air conditioned rooms is really hard on the eyes. My experience is not atypical.

[quote=“Mucha Man”]Lili, are you talking about NHI paying for a visit to an ophthmologist for a new prescription and eye check or NHI paying for glasses?

Also, you may want to reconsider contacts in Taiwan. I wore contacts for 15 years before coming here and stopped after my first year: air pollution, humidity, allergans, and especially going in and out of air conditioned rooms is really hard on the eyes. My experience is not atypical.[/quote]

Hmmm… I don’t need an exam for glasses. I have the Rx from NY dated in August. Shouldn’t be a problem for any professional staff to figure out.
So I guess I am talking about NHI paying for lenses, frames, and contact lenses plus a fitting/exam for the contacts.

Thanks for the tip. Turns out I won’t be wearing them often. Just for when I do sports things and whatnot when glasses are too problematic. I’m too self-conscious to not wear my glasses anyway.

You must look really good with glasses. :wink:

Have you ever thought about Lasik eye surgery? It’s probably going to be cheaper in the long run. Does anybody know if there are any potential long term side effects? Has anybody here done it? This info from the FDA makes it sound scary… :astonished: http://www.fda.gov/MedicalDevices/ProductsandMedicalProcedures/SurgeryandLifeSupport/LASIK/ucm061354.htm http://www.fda.gov/MedicalDevices/ProductsandMedicalProcedures/SurgeryandLifeSupport/LASIK/ucm061366.htm