Good radio stations?

What are the good radio stations in Taiwan?
Any stations with good Chinese new service (not talk shows)?
Any stations with good “alternative” music?
Any good jazz or classical stations?

Give us some descriptions and frequencies for the presets on your radio dial.

[quote]Any good jazz or classical stations?
[/quote]

99.7 Mostly classical but has a good jazz show from midnight-2 a.m. Commercial radio but very little crap, considering. My radio’s tuned to this pretty much all the time.

This isn’t a troll to get people slamming ICRT again is it?

[quote]Any stations with good Chinese new service (not talk shows)?
Any stations with good “alternative” music?
Any good jazz or classical stations?
Give us some descriptions and frequencies for the presets on your radio dial.[/quote]

I only listen to FM in Taipei. For news, I sometimes listen to UFO at 92.1 and News98 at 98.1. Those aren’t likely to completely fit your criteria of “news service [not talk shows]” but they are quite good to listen to from time to time.

For good music of any kind you have to listen to overseas stations via the internet. There are some great jazz stations that broadcast on the internet.

Monkbucket, what have you found that is good to listen to?

This is a trivia history question that I don’t have the answer to.

What were the call signs of the old US military stations in Taiwan, the Philippines, and Thailand?

I know that in Japan it is AFJN (Armed Forces Japan Network), in Korea it is AFKN and in Vietnam it was AFVN. So was the station here AFTN and the RP station AFPN?

[quote=“sandman”][quote]Any good jazz or classical stations?
[/quote]

99.7 Mostly classical but has a good jazz show from midnight-2 a.m. Commercial radio but very little crap, considering. My radio’s tuned to this pretty much all the time.[/quote]

The music on 99.7 is okay but their signal is not that strong. Reception where I live is terrible. The only way to listen is to switch to mono, which is not an acceptable solution when listening to classical music.

No - this isn’t a troll to get people slamming ICRT. Though if they feel the need, I wouldn’t disagree with them.

We purchased a little automobile last weekend and it has no tape/cd player. So until I can get a “mobile FM transmitter” for my IPod - I am radio listening :cry: on my commute to Taoyuan

Took a long drive over the weekend and couldn’t find a station other than ICRT that was playing music. Thought the folks here might have some advice! I always try to pay attention to what cabbies are listening to - but then half of them change it to ICRT when they see my blonde head in the back seat… :imp: Taking another drive today - so I will keep looking for a good station.

Thanks for the info on the classical station, Sandman. I will check it out this afternoon!

[quote=“Larsen Ni”]This is a trivia history question that I don’t have the answer to.

What were the call signs of the old US military stations in Taiwan, the Philippines, and Thailand?

I know that in Japan it is AFJN (Armed Forces Japan Network), in Korea it is AFKN and in Vietnam it was AFVN. So was the station here AFTN and the RP station AFPN?[/quote]

When I was in Japan, almost 20 years ago, it was FEN the Far East Network.

Larsen’s right – 99.7 doesn’t have good reception. Its very clear where I live, but it won’t cut it if you’re traveling even a little way out of Taipei, as you keep having to readjust the frequency. I think in Taoyuan its 99.3 or something, Ilan, its 99.1, Tai/chung its something else again.

I had tuned into BBC world but somebody changed it

Anyone know that BBC World Service is at?
Txs

Oi.

You listen to the BBC and still end sentences with “at”???

[quote=“TNT”]I had tuned into BBC world but somebody changed it

Anyone know that BBC World Service is at?
Txs[/quote]

Someone on here posted a link (Rascal, was it you?) to a BBC page that listed all the times and all the frequencies on which the World Service is broadcast in Taiwan. I had it on my favourites but inadvertently scrubbed it. I’d love to get it back again.