Good Western places in Tamshui?

i really like going there and this past trip, we ate a La Cuisine (?), i think it was called. I’ve noticed they are really building up that street that currently has the Christmas tree and i saw a lot of new Western restaurants that I hadn’t seen before.

Any recommendations? Any reviews of the new places that opened up recently?

[quote=“Formosa Fitness”]i really like going there and this past trip, we ate a La Cuisine (?), I think it was called. I’ve noticed they are really building up that street that currently has the Christmas tree and I saw a lot of new Western restaurants that I hadn’t seen before.

Any recommendations? Any reviews of the new places that opened up recently?[/quote]

I live in Danshui and I don’t know where you mean. Could you be more precise please? I’d like to check them out myself and then be happy to let you know about them.

Kooks do the best burgers in Taiwan. In fact, other than the pasta (which we found a little oily) everything at Kooks is fantastic.

dp

[quote=“BigJohn”][quote=“Formosa Fitness”]i really like going there and this past trip, we ate a La Cuisine (?), I think it was called. I’ve noticed they are really building up that street that currently has the Christmas tree and I saw a lot of new Western restaurants that I hadn’t seen before.

Any recommendations? Any reviews of the new places that opened up recently?[/quote]

I live in Danshui and I don’t know where you mean. Could you be more precise please? I’d like to check them out myself and then be happy to let you know about them.[/quote]

There’s a big Christmas tree just south of Big Tom’s. i noticed a lot of Western places in that area i hadn’t seen before.

The “La Cuisine” place we ate at was on the same street as Big Tom’s just south of Alleycats. Not sure if i got the name right, but the food was good, especially the steak, which I’m usually disappointed in. The decor was very nice and not too tacky, especially the Christmas stuff. Looked like a great place for a date.

I’ve never heard of Big Tom’s either. Always amazes me when a place bills itself as “American” and people wonder why I don’t know all about it. :slight_smile:

Any reviews or recommendations of Western food in Danshui would be appreciated.

Excellent. will look it up. The burger scene around ShiDa road down here has totally been killed off by the short-sighted ShiDa neighborhood association. They are doing everything they humanly can to kill off small business. The proliferation of burger joints was driving up the quality there for quite a while. But thanks to the association, we’ll be right back to mcDonald’s and Burger King only in no time. So getting a burger in Danshui might be an option.

If you know where the little tiny harbor is (just past the Starbucks in the former PO) there is a row of tiny shops facing the river. Good pizza at the end shop.

In Mackay’s former residence (or the building beside it) there is a western style restaurant. Not great food but nice atmosphere.

Good luck finding that pizza place open! But at least there’s an Alleycat’s right across the road. Also, above the Alleycat’s, there’s a restaurant/diner called Catsup; I believe it’s one of the only western brunch options in Danshui, although if I recall correctly it doesn’t open until 11am, and there’s no way I’m going to the waterfront that late on a weekend.

Way, way down the waterfront there’s La Villa: a lovely location at the beginning of the wooden boardwalk. I’ve really enjoyed their pasta sets; their meat mains, not so much.

In the newish Meito department store, right across from the MRT station, there’s a place called Fifteen: quite good pizza and pasta. Actually, for department store Italian, it’s shockingly good.

EDIT: Vaguely related threads …
Living in Danshui
Moving to Danshui, lots of questions!
Living in Danshui & Beitou

Excellent. will look it up. The burger scene around Shi-Da road down here has totally been killed off by the short-sighted Shi-Da neighborhood association. They are doing everything they humanly can to kill off small business. The proliferation of burger joints was driving up the quality there for quite a while. But thanks to the association, we’ll be right back to mcDonald’s and Burger King only in no time. So getting a burger in Danshui might be an option.[/quote]

Yeah, Kooks is good. You’ll need to use a map application to find it, but it’s worth searching for, and short walk from the MRT station.

Just past the Starbucks and the GanBei (Japanese BBQ) place near the waterfront is a New Zealander owned burger place that is good. It has some sort of Maori name that I can’t recall, but it’s just a few doors down from the the GanBei place on the river side.

Excellent. will look it up. The burger scene around Shi-Da road down here has totally been killed off by the short-sighted Shi-Da neighborhood association. They are doing everything they humanly can to kill off small business. The proliferation of burger joints was driving up the quality there for quite a while. But thanks to the association, we’ll be right back to mcDonald’s and Burger King only in no time. So getting a burger in Danshui might be an option.[/quote]

Yeah, Kooks is good. You’ll need to use a map application to find it, but it’s worth searching for, and short walk from the MRT station.

Just past the Starbucks and the GanBei (Japanese BBQ) place near the waterfront is a New Zealander owned burger place that is good. It has some sort of Maori name that I can’t recall, but it’s just a few doors down from the the GanBei place on the river side.[/quote]
You can find Kooks here: [color=#00BFFF]http://www.taiwanease.com/listing/345/Kooks[/color], and the name of the Kiwi burger place is Kia Ora Kai. Actually, every restaurant in this thread is already listed in the Directory, replete with addresses in English and Chinese, telephone numbers, google maps, taxi cards, links to websites and Facebook pages, reviews, etc. :thumbsup: :slight_smile:

Mods, you might want to move this thread out of the Northern Taiwan Restaurants thread into the Taipei/Xinbei thread. :2cents: :bow:

wow, maoman’s killing it with the listings. That must have taken some serious work. Good job.

Looking at his listings, the name of the Italian place across from Ft. San Domingo is La Villa, correct? Looked like a nice place.

Surprised there aren’t more reviews of Kia Ora Kai. Seems to me that reviews were more common a few years ago. Lots of new places open with no reviews of them, maybe just my impression.