Google.cn accessible from Taiwan?

A friend of mine told me to try this. if you type in www.google.cn is …www.google.com – automatically. is china denying us or is google denying us?

try it

in other words, google is preventing us from viewing google.cn from taiwan. why is this?

can one access google.cn from USa or Uk or canada or Japan?

cannot access it from Taiwan. why?

Yes you can. I can get google.cn

i believe you. then why can’t i? is my email cafe not giving me access for some reason? can u xplane?

[quote=“Cola”]I believe you. then why can’t i? is my email cafe not giving me access for some reason? Can you xplane?[/quote]cookies ? www.google.com sends you to the Taiwanese one if you haven’t told it you want the English one.

Cookies? Why didn’t you say so?

(Cased closed) …BUT a friend in China, emails me:

“Just checked with office pals in Taipei, they are also getting redirected to google.com now and cannot access google.cn

news.google.com.tw/news?ned=cn

I can get this page. But I cannot get www.google.cn by itself. it flips each time to google.com.tw

You can try here:
google.com/intl/zh-CN/ (I don’t think this would access Google’s infamous filters though.)

or go through a proxy server located in China. Just use Google to find one.

Normally, I would go hereto find one, and I did just that a few days ago. But now there are suddenly very few listed. I think that’s strange. There were dozens last week when I first looked for one.

To run your browser through a proxy server you need to use the options settings of that browser.

China even blocks Wikipedia. How pathetic.

It might also be because google wants people to see the local pages. It is possible for any website to identify the city from which you are browsing. This is called geoip, I believe. This is mainly used so that people in south africa do not see local ads from tokio.

If you search for ‘Tibet’ it says “Did you mean: Norman Tebbit”