Google Earth Beta 4 - now for Linux

Yesterday I read the news, Google Earth is now available for Linux. I was suprised and thought Google is seen the bright Linux light.

Anyhow, I tried installing it on my Debian Unstable system, the splash screen pops up once and then the darn program crashes. I am using the ATI proprietary drivers, so there might be a problem, which I will have to investigate.

Has anybody tried it yet and got it to work?

Ahaa!! I read about that yesterday. I was hoping you would install it and give us a review, ratlung :p.

I know the video drivers are really important for Google Earth, so that could well be your problem. Let me try to install it on FC5 and I’ll let you know how it goes. My ATI card is still “limited”, as you know.

[quote=“irishstu”]Ahaa!! I read about that yesterday. I was hoping you would install it and give us a review, ratlung :p.

I know the video drivers are really important for Google Earth, so that could well be your problem. Let me try to install it on FC5 and I’ll let you know how it goes. My ATI card is still “limited”, as you know.[/quote]

Of course I would try it asap. I like Google Earth and the only reason why I am not using it more often is that it used to be for Windows only + MacOS I guess.

I am still hoping that Google might publish a Linux native version of picasa as well. I would like to give it a try.

picasa.google.com/linux/
They’ve even got a Debian package for it :slight_smile:

picasa.google.com/linux/
They’ve even got a Debian package for it :slight_smile:[/quote]

Well, you have to use WINE with it. I am not a big fan of WINE, that’s why I mentioned a native version. But I guess I could give it a try.

Am am now convinced Google will release it’s own (linux based) OS

Google Earth works surprisingly well on a GNU/Linux box; the GUI is really nice-looking. I was impressed, although it was really scary to see my own house.

Of course, be sure to have a lot of RAM.

Okay, now it works. I have not done anything besides installing the regular Debian updates. This morning I just thought I try my luck again, and GoogleEarth works just fine. Hope it stays this way.

Hey Ratlung!

On June 17th we went Go-karting. I’m that “fat american”. Hey do you guys all wanna go go karting or swimming or to that italian restaurant again? My name’s Levi. Here’s my email lv18881@yahoo.com.
TTYL,
Leviathan