Google is watching me on Forumosa

I did nothing but read through a thread and the word “Sennheiser” was mentioned in the thread. I never highlighted the word or type the word or anything just read through.

Within a couple hours I get a personalized feed from Google on that subject, a topic for which I’ve never even been aware of. I don’t really know Sennheiser or never search it or spoke of it or even been cognizant of it.

Thread
Screenshot_20181119-215629_Chrome

Personal feed

If you read stuff about headphones, you’ll get ads for headphones. I think that’s it

1 Like

Yeah Google scans what I read, not only what I type or search for.

1 Like

That’s why I’m avoiding reading the thread about the joys of well timed farts. Oops, now I typed it.

2 Likes

Probably not just Forumosa, likely all sites you visit that has a google ad cookie. It will string together your interest profile (from whatever you do or did) and just keep showing ads to you until you bite :slight_smile:

Google watches you, every step you make, every turn you take. It will synchronize all you do, keep an eye on you!

TIL Forumosa has ads.

Don’t stand, don’t stand, don’t stand so close to me.

That’s what you get from using Google’s Chrome browser…

I’m getting ads for phone-holding garters.

A few friends of mine are in the ‘retargeting cookie’ business, every time you look for something, next time you open your browser you get ads served for these items.

1 Like

Great, I mention lesbian, now I’m getting lesbian targeting advertising.

Hmmm, how can I use this to my advantage?

Great! I shall now mention lesbians as well. I now expect to see some lesbian ads, lickety split.

Also, I would like targeted ads on (let’s see now) online Shinto seminary programs, herbs for rectal diphtheria, and budget hotels in Axum, Ethiopia. Off ye go, bots!

It looks like you’re on an Android phone, so yes, they are tracking you. Here and elsewhere. You can turn off some of those “features”. The second ad doesn’t look like Google, so you probably got a cookie from somewhere else.

Hello Google, I am a hetero male, or maybe a lesbian trapped in a man’s body, so either way this targeted “How to know if you’re a lesbian” app is mostly useless for me.

Screenshot_20190811-152348_YouTube

>not using adblock
>not using custom android rom without google
>not using umatrix to block all tracking (and js in general)
>not using hostname blocker at router level

It’s like you’re asking to be tracked. I haven’t seen ads in years (with the exception of certain sites that manually add a couple ads for their own content so don’t get included in any blocklists).

Then, you are also not using any free app, right?

I use exclusively open source apps, which are free as in beer and free as in speech.

Can you translate that to old people speak?

• install ublock origin (in browser)
  • root your phone and install something like lineageos (I specifically only buy phones that are rootable with officially supported tools)
  • install umatrix (in browser) although this takes some effort to configure so maybe install privacy badger instead
  • install something like pi hole on your home network so all devices are protected, or blokada on your android and it will block most ads and tracking in most apps
3 Likes