Google maps

looks like us and uk only, but great for that.

maps.google.com/maps

No, you can search Canada as well…

Yeah, it’s a good site, and bound to get better over time. I especially like the satellite feature (see link in top-right of page), though that’s currently even more limited.

I was trying to find Bill Gate’s house. I know it’s in Bellevue, Washington, close to/opart of Medina, but I really need an address. Can anyone help me out here? I want to check it out with the satellite feature… :sunglasses:

Hate to be a smart ass (Oh, OK, no I don’t), but did you think to check Google? First hit for ‘bill gates house address’ gives you:
The address is 1835 73rd Ave NE, Medina, WA 98039
Which gives you this google maps url:
maps.google.com/maps?q=1835+73rd … 5899&hl=en

Here’s another cool google thing:
labs.google.com/ridefinder

Find Taxi’s using their map. Miltown is on there :slight_smile:

Hmm, serves me right for making my google search terms too vague. Gotta remember to K.I.S.S. :doh:

a regrettable undersight? just occured to me and i meant to correct it but of course i was beaten to it :slight_smile: na and uk only.

Area 51 more kewl to look up, but i think by now Google removed it from their satelite database :frowning:

Is Google Maps soon to be abandoned seen the 3D upcoming format, or is there simply no investment any more keeping their tool / maps up-to-date?

Nanjing East Rd. Sec 3 still has trees, Xinyi Area has no W Hotel, nor Le Meridien, No BellaVita and 4 other lots still look like 2009 or before.

It simply feels and looks old :frowning:

I agree! I imagine they’ll be updating it seeing as there is a lot more competition recently, from Apple and a number of open-source mapping projects.

That doesn’t mean they haven’t been making changes! For example, late last year Google Maps changed the spellings of lots of MRT stations so that now they’re filled with typos. :aiyo:

Google maps is released for IOS - at least for those whom upgraded to 6.0 and beyond.
Apple must have had too many complaints so they released it earlier than anticipated.

Available on the App store for iPod iPhone - not yet for iPad it seems.

Google finally released their new maps app for the iPhone yesterday (iPad one will be coming out later). Reviews have been very good.

Things I’ve noticed on my end from using it in Taiwan:

1. Apple’s map app used non standard pinyin so it had a hard time finding addresses in pinyin. With Google maps, we are back to using proper romanized Pinyin, so that’s great.
  2. You can login to your Google account, which will then sync your history and saved locations between your desktop and mobile maps - very useful!
  3. Hold your finger down on a map location to drop a pin, which will pull up the estimated address below. Slide that address up to reveal the street view for that location, with the ability to save it to your synced account.

The new app also negates a couple of advantages that Apple touted with Apple maps:

1. It uses vector maps making it much faster than the old built in version from iOS 5.
  2. It also includes turn by turn directions, a feature only the Android version had before.

The only downside to this app is that since it’s not built into the system, map locations and such that you try to open from emails and text messages will still open up in Apple maps. Still glad to see Google step up their game. It’ll be very hard for Apple to compete with them now in maps.

I don’t like it

Also,

:rofl:

1 Like

Not a fan of gray streets. And doesn’t match mapping standards.

Trying to be like Apple?

I use it in dark mode all the time and didn’t really notice any difference

It just changed recently

That’s the most disgusting map color I’ve seen in recent years

1 Like

I feel these big companies are way out of touch with the users’ needs. Facebook is the worst, but Google is not far behind in my own experience. I know, I should not complain, because of the great convenience they bring to daily life in general, but man, how can they go so wrong with things like the colors.