Google Translate hilarity

Original text: "我在大三大四的時候"
Google: "I am in the large three-four time"
Actual: “During my junior and senior years”

我在大三大四的時候 is maybe a strange Chinese expression>

Tell that to the Taiwanese guy who composed it!

Try checking out some of the Bing translations that show up on Facebook now.

Go to Hualien eaten by small plane a happy occasion!

One of the levels in QSquare is translated “Saunter Avenue.”

Sorry, I’ve tried to post a pic a couple different times, using the Img tag, but it doesn’t seem to be working. Can somebody give me a hand?

Prime candidate for a google translate. Surely nobody can be THIS bad at English?

http://eng.taiwanroc100.org.tw/event_content_item.php?am_id=2&ag_id=61&ai_id=115

Google Chrome’s automatic 中文 -> 英文 translation.

It goes so well with Lisa giving Bart head.

Maybe Google Translate is not really an empirical program, but a prescriptive program. It’s telling all of us humans that, according to our own translations, we should just speak our languages differently if we want the translations between them to work more smoothly.

[quote=“Nuit”]Prime candidate for a google translate. Surely nobody can be THIS bad at English?

http://eng.taiwanroc100.org.tw/event_content_item.php?am_id=2&ag_id=61&ai_id=115

I am also struggling with “bing” translations !!! e.g.

Heavy Knights knocked down little girl Yang Kaixiang, angry little girl kick two feet, last night raised heated debate in the network area, 11 points from six o’clock in the evening to night, five hours more than more than 300 Internet message; friend Dr “is really heavy machinery sector of a mice shit.” :popcorn: ??

[/quote]

fraking hilarious!

Google translate is absolutely horrendous. A while back I had the idea of translating the articles on my golf website to Chinese using google translate. I did the first one and let my girlfriend check it for me thinking there would be a few grammatical errors.

Not only did she not know what she was reading, and most times had no idea it was even about golf, but she said there were several insulting, rude, and sexual sentences in it as well.

Glad I ran it by a Chinese person before posting my sexual advances on any future students :blush:

1 Like

That’s why translators ask a pretty penny for their services. I hate when movies like Iron Man (1) have an “auto-translate” button that renders foreign speech into perfectly understandable (albeit accented) English with correct grammar and intonation. Yeah, yeah, it’s a movie, I know, but it gives people a subtle impression that my job is easy and not worth paying for.

That said, a large number of highly skilled and professional translators actually do make use of Google Translate. It’s better at some types of sentences than other, and from what I’ve seen, WAY better at English-to-Chinese than the other way around.

Google Translate, like all statistical translators, has a problem with elliptical omissions between languages. The computer program generally assumes that every sentence that it receives is not missing any pieces, but people rarely write that way in their native languages.

There are also problems with frequent non-literal translations, like when people translate “VN compounds” as intransitive verbs, because we’ll often insert modifiers (to “VNP”), and SMT translations break down.

[quote=“ehophi”]Google Translate, like all statistical translators, has a problem with elliptical omissions between languages. The computer program generally assumes that every sentence that it receives is not missing any pieces, but people rarely write that way in their native languages.

There are also problems with frequent non-literal translations, like when people translate “VN compounds” as intransitive verbs, because we’ll often insert modifiers (to “VNP”), and SMT translations break down.[/quote]

Ah, yes it all makes complete sense now :astonished:

Heh. This is particularly problematic in Ch>En translation because Chinese (well, good Chinese) puts emphasis on brevity and conciseness. So the English you get is just a nonsensicle jumble. Another good comparison would be a news headline, which would make no sense thrown through Google, and the first paragraph of a news story, which may be readable.

5 Likes