Gospel and spiritual songs

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ifEUn1AxDYo

The one and only JT, great Christmas song as well.

2 Likes

Nice. James Taylorā€™s voice has not deteriorated at all (not so evident on this song, but on some other tunes Iā€™ve heard). And his guitar playing is always good (also not so evident on this song). James Taylorā€™s unique voice reminds me of a short but intense relationship I had in my twenties. We listened to that greatest hits cd over and over again. So heā€™s always a bit hard to listen to for me.

1 Like

I agree, here he is live last month in October, age 71. The special voice is still there.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=elcihPhbMbg

1 Like

In his 70s?! Well, heā€™s looking and sounding good. And such a positive message with that song.

1 Like
2 Likes

Not sure if we had any Glen Campbell yet.

2 Likes

If Elton John sang gospel!

1 Like

There is so much good bluegrass and country gospel that no one has mentioned. The one song that sprang into my head, that I absolutely love (but is likely not known by many) is ā€œTouch of the Masterā€™s Handā€ , here with Laurie Lewis and her band:

2 Likes

And then there is ā€œWorking on a Buildingā€, as standard a country/bluegrass gospel song as.it gets.

Here it is done with solo fiddle and voice by Tim Oā€™Brien. If you have any interest whatsoever in traditional gospel, fiddle, or just amazing musicianship, please check this out. He is absolutely phenomenal and vastly underrated.

Note: The music starts around 1:20 or so.

2 Likes

I remember him from the Transatlantic Session, heā€™s great. Here is Eric Bibb/Jerry Douglas from the TA Sessions

Bob Dylanā€™s Ring Them Bells with Sarah Jarosz, great acoustic music with the masters
3 Likes

Mash up of an Anthony Hamilton R & B tune and a Hillsong praise song. This just blows me away. And this girlā€™s voice.

2 Likes

From a ā€œThe Gospel According to Jazz IIIā€ album. Still exploring things. This one features George Duke (a favorite fusion pianist of mine). Very nice. Duke really goes all classical jazz on this one and the audience canā€™t get enough. By the way, I didnā€™t know ā€œBecause You Loved Meā€ (Celine Dion) was a spiritual song. (Just checked wikipedia. I guess it isnā€™t but maybe thereā€™s a version that is.)

2 Likes

Carribean gospel music.

2 Likes

That was nice to learn of.

1 Like

Nice to rhythm!

1 Like

American R&B and soul singers grew up on gospel. No problem passing the mic.

These guys from Korea can sang (and yes, thatā€™s a very culturally white guy trying to sound hip).

1 Like

About the only band in the eighties with a positive message.

1 Like

This is a great Christmas one

But this is my favourite. I first experienced it at a traditional Anglican service, and it felt really good to belt it out.

In general, its really nice experience to sing a good traditional hymn where everyone is really getting into it. Like when something like ā€œOh be thou my visionā€ is played at a wedding.

4 Likes

Iā€™m as white as can be culturally. But to me, thereā€™s nothing like some black worship music. I just canā€™t get enough. To me, itā€™s by far the best worship music, especially the old stuff.

4 Likes