Got a better offer?

Hi! What happens if I sign a contract with one employer only to get a better offer with another later. Am I legally obligated to honour the first? Are there consequences? Can I just resign the first?

I think this is more common than people think. It’s happened in the past to me. You have one offer that’s certain and you feel so-so about it, but you’re waiting on another possible offer that’s maybe a 50/50 chance. Do you take a gamble and pass up the so-so offer for the one you really want even though that could leave you empty handed if your luck runs out, or do you go with the safe bet figuring it’s still better than being unemployed?

For me, I accepted the one I was offered. Then the place I really wanted got back to me. :confused: I asked to be let go of my original contract which just made things awkward with my new boss. I think I cut my contract short with them, but by that time the offer from my dream place (well, not “dream” but highly preferable place) was gone. Ah well….

So I’d suggest talking to the person you signed the original contract with. But be aware they have their own needs and feelings about this, and it’s a crapshoot whether they’ll let you out of it or not.

And yes, if you’re not legally removed from the contract there will be consequences if you just don’t show up and go to work for the other place. So handle it the right way.

2 Likes

Fify. :slightly_smiling_face:

@sands you may want to search for previous threads about contract termination.