Got into an argument with a bus driver

I’ve had a lawyer read this whole thread. They said the case wouldn’t go anywhere and giving the finger isn’t that serious to start with.

1 Like

Yes but it can be a big waste of time and money if you have to go through mediation or a court hearing.

1 Like

In the Brian case he did more than simply give the finger, and in both cases the opposing party didn’t retaliate in kind.

Right. There was clearly a right and wrong. But don’t underestimate the power of anyone seeing red and willing to retaliate. I don’t think they will try either, it would be MAD, but just stay prepared.

Once at the station, Brian expressed to police his willingness to reconcile with Huang, but Huang insisted on pressing charges because…

My former boss tried to tell the police I worked illegally for him.

I didn’t. But he was willing to go that far.

It’s an up-to $750000 fine he was willing to risk.

Some people are nuts.

7 Likes

this, never ever underestimate TW pettiness.

4 Likes

Small Dick Energy

Too many people unnecessarily go scorched earth on me. I am prepared.

4 Likes

This to the max.

1 Like

Pardon me for jumping in here. This is a truly fascinating thread. I’ve had an argument or two with bus drivers over the years, so I can empathize. I remember the guy’s name and everything. My BP is rising just thinking about it and I’m out of Burge Meester dammit!

Anyway, I was remembering in like 98 or 99 when I was welcoming foreigners to Taiwan, we gave them a handy survival guide that included the very line “Don’t mess with bus drivers. A surlier lot you will not find.” And I guess that advice is as true today as it was way back then! ABDAB. ABD.

4 Likes

I’m not a lawyer, but if I were, my first piece of advice would be to not go online and explain all the crimes you committed.

6 Likes

That’s true. If you take a bus regularly, you will be known.

My wife got on the bus the other day and the driver asked her where my daughter was. :anguished:

2 Likes

dont give the finger ever to anyone in taiwan. In the Sunset district nearly every intersection and there are zillions of them have a STOP sign. some do in your direction, some dont/ And sometimes people are confused as to who should go first.

basically at a 4 way stop the first one there goes first , then the second one there. etc.

but if you are facing each other and you basically got there at the same time the one who is turning left has to give way to the one going straight. And also the case where the person on a bigger road takes precedence over one coming from a smaller road. thats my understanding anyways.
yesterday some white girl maybe 30s didnt indicate she wanted to turn left and we both got to the intersection at the same time and there was no other traffic so i proceeded forward after a brief stop as i thought she was going straight so we both are going straight so thats fine, but then she barged in front of me and forced me to brake and gave me the finger. Technically if she had indicated i may have let her go first as we both got there at the same time, but shes turning left and should give me to me going forward. Its dangerous to give someone the finger. i could have been some raging lunatic who just lost his job and tore off after her and run her off the road.

In Oakland she may have been shot . car to car shootings happen near weekly. Just a few days ago some car was fired upon and ran into a fast food joint smashing up the place. good thing no one seems to have been hurt badly.

and in texas she would have been dumb to give the finger as everyone it seems is armed.

so dont give the finger.

seems you were pretty not smart to board the bus after getting the bus driver incensed. things just went from bad to worse for you.

bus drivers can be real turkeys in taiwan and probably elsewhere. decades ago in paris on a brief stop over the driver of my bus from the airport to the city got into an argument with some driver in a car and he stormed off the bus and pulled the other guy out through his window !!

1 Like

taxi drivers may be worse and the very worse are gravel truck drivers, those guys are high on betel nuts and plain crazy.

2 Likes

I remember taking a taxi in Taichung in 1999. I’d travelled about 200 meters and the driver, a kind of ex con / gangster type of looking guy, took a phone call.

He then just stopped the cab and told me he wouldn’t be taking me any further. I asked him if he was going to give me my 70NT back and he gave me a look that had me scarpering for safety.

2 Likes

yeah maybe his day job was breaking bones for the mob and you were asking for it if you carried on further. And taichung? That is mob central in taiwan.

p.s dont mess with gangsters in taiwan or elsewhere. i have seen with my own eyes two incidents that were not good for the one being beat up.

looked through the window at another apt in taichung once and it looked like a couple fellas were taking their time teaching a lesson to perhaps a fellow mobster. so they would have a shot all around and then the dudes would punch up the guy in the middle. some talking going on and then another shot and then more punches. was kinda funny but im sure it wasnt for the punchee.

another time in taipei at an intersection and taipei intersections have no stop signs unless things have changed so its a free for all.

right in front of me two young wannabees zoomed in front of a honda accord on their scooter and starting yelling 4 letter words at the driver who then got out grabbed one of them and told the other he better not run away or he will be caught and badly beaten up. He punched the living daylights out of the young wannabee and released him and then punched up the other one. That guy was so scared he didnt run away and waited his turn for his punch up. they knew they messed with the wrong guy and because he was likely connected he would be found and retribution is going to be worse.

dont fcuk with the mob !

‘Real turkeys’ :joy::joy::joy::joy:

You can’t give the middle finger, but is it illegal to give the cunnilingus salute? (V with your fingers and then licking).

Why don’t people do that instead? Just as rude but maybe not illegal?

If someone pisses me off, especially driving, I always use it instead of the finger. :cowboy_hat_face: :cowboy_hat_face: :clown_face:

(120) Scarface (1983) - How to Pick-Up Chicks Scene (3/8) | Movieclips - YouTube

1 Like

Public insult doesn’t limit itself to any specific gesture. If it’s intended as an insult, it’s prosecutable.

It could be interpreted as amorous, no? And since pussy eating ain’t as popular in some locales :clown_face: would people be offended as much by the gesture?

I have to provide the counter-point that my wife frequently forgets to top up her EasyCard and is also map-blind like you wouldn’t believe, so at least every other day (literally!) she is asking a bus driver which way the bus is going, or at least once a week is begging forgiveness for not having enough fare (or change).

And it’s never a problem, they are always polite and generally even patient. Some people could say that’s because she’s cute as a bug, but we’ve also chased them down, (where I am clearly a foreigner running after the bus!) and they will often stop.

Now, all that said, there are definitely some who are assholes and are clearly trying to shake up the passengers as much as possible, (e.g. jamming on the accelerator right before the stop).

Just saying SBDAB, but not ABDAB. :bowing:

3 Likes