Got scammed by a kiosk, what are my options?

I was walking in the mall and got scammed by a skin care product kiosk. The girl was really pushy and asked to try some hand cream on me, then some skin care products, the next thing I know i bought 20k worth of products that I thought was worth 40k. When I looked online at amazon, they were only worth about 2k and of questionable quality.

What are my options? The products are unopened. Looking online, they are a scam shop and don’t offer refunds.

Are there any consumer protection laws in Taiwan and has anyone been able to get a refund from unopened products? I bought the products just today.

11 posts were split to a new topic: From scam

If the products are not faulty, then why should you be able to return them? If you buy some milk in a supermarket and then you find it cheaper in another supermarket, are you also expecting to be compensated for the difference?

2 Likes

They’re unopened and their expiration is in a year so it’s not the same analogy as milk, and I’m returning within 7 days.

It’s clearly a scam, the company has lots of reviews online. They overcharge by 10x.

Consumers of distance sales or door-to-door sales may return the goods or rescind the contract in writing within 7 days upon receipt of goods or services without stating the reasons or be responsible for any expenses or costs.

I guess this was not distance or door-to-door…

1 Like

Edit: meant to reply to @jimbob132

I would tend to go back to the kiosk and try to return them, and probably make a polite fuss if they refuse. Preferably when other customers are at the kiosk…

Although I generally agree with buyer beware, it sounds like they lied about the value so I would have no qualms about trying to get a refund.

2 Likes

@yyy’s not around today, my patience may be less than his. If it’s not a concrete legal suggestion relevant to the question in the OP please don’t post it here.

2 Likes

Return policies are for online purchases, as mentioned.

You can try to sue them for false advertising and deception. Don’t know how successful it will be in Taiwan. And you don’t really have proof of the conversation with the sales person. It will be word against word.

Take it as a very expensive life lesson. Always compare prices online before you buy. A Google search is done in a few minutes. You can even excuse yourself to the bathroom if you don’t want to do it in the open. Nobody can force you to buy something.
Especially don’t let the sales people rush you if the purchase is of significant value like this.

8 Likes

Is it major mall and receipt issued by the mall/department store? If yes you might contact the centre management to seek help if they issued the receipt.

3 Likes

The receipt is issued by ‘Breeze’ so it’s a major mall

yes, Breeze is a big company ! their customer service should be better and at least try to talk with them if you really think you were scammed. I am sure they would not the least be known as a company that does this. (I do not know the full facts but hard think they want this reputaion)

3 Likes

You can check the Consumer Protection Act

Article 18 and 19 says something about return of unopened products within 7 days , however I am not sure if these Kiosks at Malls are in the same category , as @Shui said in a previous post

Also this kind of sales is quite common in many Malls , specially in the cosmetics area

References

3 Likes

I had the exact same thing happen the other day.

I bought a new computer at Apple at 101 that I thought was worth much more than I paid.

When I got home I checked the apple store in US and found out it was worth a lot less.

Apple at 101 refused to take it back

I noticed a lot of retailers are scams in Taiwan, the prices are multiples more than you find online

scam
/skam/
noun

INFORMAL

1. a dishonest scheme; a fraud.

:no_no:

1 Like

Everyone knows prices at a department store and online are different for most items.

1 Like

Is it legal to stand nearby the kiosk and warn passerbys of the scam? Seems I have nothing to do this weekend

Slander

1 Like

Is it slander if it’s true? I’m just warning them that it’s marked up 10x compared to online

Often you can’t really compare prices in different countries…

3 Likes

Apple has import tax of around 30%, so apple in Taiwan charges about 30% more.

However if Apple charged 10x and you found out later that it’s not due to import tax but rather their local sales tactics, would you feel differently?