Government interviewing foreign teachers

A certain big name company just send out an email to their employees telling them that the government is coming to interview their foreign teachers. Is this happening to anyone currently?

2 Likes

What’s particularly weird about this too, is that it’s under the guise of concern for the teachers, after the murder of a Canadian teacher this summer.

There are other immigrant groups who need more support than English teachers do (see: Filipina caretakers who get most of their income snatched away by brokers). So is the government trying to catch teachers off guard? Trying to find a suspect? Genuinely concerned for our mental health?

If anyone has actually been interviewed by the government about this, I’m curious too!

This is how it starts…

You have a point. The average SEA maid or construction worker is probably toiling in much worse conditions.

However, since this is happening anyway, I encourage teachers to take this opportunity to describe their own conditions and ask, “Is this even legal?”

It’s not impossible for some good to come of this. :slight_smile: :rainbow:

3 Likes

First they came for the teachers, and I didn’t say anything because I was not a teacher…

1540371990854s

The immigration popo in the past was known to pay house visits to us Gweilo to see how everything was. Maybe it’s the same idea

What was the deal with this? They could just do a pop in randomly?

I hate the pop in

1 Like

True, but they aren’t covered under the labour standards act …

I’d be concerned if they start asking for blood samples.

I agree, those things teacher’s are unhappy with in Taiwan then you might as well tell them so they at least know them. They might do nothing but who knows !

This person does not believe in telephones.

1 Like

At least give me a call before your pop in gweilo inspection!

1 Like

Who, the maids or the teachers?

Buxiban teachers are covered, and some private school teachers are.

Maids

I really do wonder when this will happen or urine samples.

you can refuse a urine sample unless the police have reasonable suspicion that you are taking drugs which includes such things as you being in possession of drugs, or they having seized drugs in your house, you breaching the peace etc. They couldn’t demand a urine sample for example just because someone originates from Canada and is wearing a hemp motif pair of sandals …

1 Like

Upon gaining his degree in 1839, he told his brother “I don’t feel I have a vocation for anything.”