Grade Trump’s Presidency in Total and Only on Policy

Bright spots were appointing good justices who ruled against him, US-Taiwan relations, and China policy. Everything else, terrible.

And he did just as much damage with his rhetoric as his policies. If you favor that in, D.

But poll is just about policy.

I wouldn’t call most of them good justices. They are by and large far RW ideologues with anti-democratic stances on key issues. The judiciary is the MOST damage Trump did to the US, the courts have been stacked for decades with far right corporatists.

Ruling against Trump on the election fraud BS only proved the nation was salvageable.

2 Likes

The justices were respected across the spectrum and competent, and honorable people, unlike him. I probably won’t largely align with their ideology, but they stuck to interpreting the Constitution. Many of them ruled against right-wing ideology many times. I can’t think of a ruling that was severely flawed in any way.

Report looks at Trump’s judicial impact on LGBTQ people - New York Daily News (nydailynews.com)

Analysis of Trump’s judicial appointments finds that nearly 40% of confirmed appellate judges have shown anti-LGBTQ bias

1 Like

Those are lower court judges. I’m talking about the Supreme Court.

Amy Coney Barrett’s Record Reveals Harsh Decisions Surrounding Sexual Assault Survivors Amy Coney Barrett’s Record Reveals Harsh Decisions Surrounding Sexual Assault Survivors (yahoo.com)

Amy Coney Barrett’s record of advocating for limits to abortion rights
Amy Coney Barrett’s record of advocating for limits to abortion rights - CNNPolitics

Directly responsible for superspreader event, no masks during peak COVID shows serious lack of judgement and probable ideological bent against public health Amy Coney Barrett’s ‘irresponsible and dangerous’ confirmation hangs in the balance | Daily Mail Online

Let the Record Show: Amy Coney Barrett Draws Scrutiny for Ruling Saying ‘N-Word’ Doesn’t Prove a Workplace Is Hostile Let the Record Show: Amy Coney Barrett Draws Scrutiny for Ruling Saying ‘N-Word’ Doesn’t Prove a Workplace Is Hostile (yahoo.com)

Yeah, she seems totally trustworthy.

Not an ideology issue.

There are pro-choice legal scholars who believe Roe v. Wade is flawed. This doesn’t imply unfaithfulness to the Constitution.

No idea what this has to do with anything.

This one is potentially disastrous. Fortunately, I haven’t seen her make a similar ruling on race issues since assuming her post.

You called them honorable people. Honorable people wear masks during COVID to prevent the spread of disease to others. Honorable people don’t take anti democratic originalist stances towards the constitution.

You may be right that they haven’t done any damage so far, but there’s a lot of time left on the clock and these people have serious red flags in their history from the perspective of honoring the separation of church and state, their views on abortion rights, their views on gun rights.

These judges are RW conservatives fantasy all star lineup on paper, so I hope you’re right.

1 Like

You (and the media sources you follow) are pinning a bunch of idiots not wearing masks at her event on her. That’s agenda-driven and unfair.

Show me an instance where she’s (or Gorsuch or Kavanaugh) were unfaithful to the Constitution. They’re paid to interpret the Constitution.

The Court (along with the liberal justices) have already made rulings to tell the government to get off religious peoples’ nuts. That’s separation of Church and State.

1 Like

In law school my 1L Constitutional Law professor said something like “if you determine that cases virtually always favor the outcome you want, you don’t have a constitutional philosophy”. The point is that you need a defined, repeatable process for interpretation of constitutional issues. While certainly both sides (really there’s more than 2, but, hey, we live in a stupid time where everything is us v. them) have judges that seem to break with their stated interpretive philosophies to get to results that seem to comport to outcomes they want, this is more an issue for the liberal justices than conservative ones.

2 Likes

I’m quite tiring of apologists for Trump and his crew talking about ‘agendas’. Those people flaunted social distancing rules during a pandemic for political reasons. It’s gross. If that doesn’t cause at least some kind of red flags, it ain’t everyone else with the agenda.

I have no ‘agenda’, well outside of not dying of COVID at the moment from people like Amy Comey Barrett and her associates.

1 Like

Sorry, you’re going to have to show some evidence for this.

1 Like

Regarding judges Trump chooses alot with almost no experience in a courtroom. Example33 years old…only practicing law since 2012…no courtroom experience at all (except as an intern before graduation)…ABA labeled her as unqualified (they suggest at least 12 years experience). That was the 10th judge to get the “unqualified” label from ABA…Obama had 0 such “unqualified” label appointees…Bush had 6 in two terms. Nowadays if you are a member of the Federalist Society then you are a shoe-in to be a district judge for life.

1 Like

If you look at cases that make the news, the liberal justices almost always rule along ideological lines while one or two conservative justices break ranks.

Ted Cruz was crying about this on Fox News.

Is she an event planner? Blaming her for something other people did is pure political play. That’s guilt by association.

The ABA’s recommendations aren’t really relevant in this case because she’s a legal scholar (which we also should have on the Supreme Court), not a practitioner.

She went to and taught at Notre Dame, which is an elite law school but still breaks the stranglehold the Ivy League has on the court, and that’s good for democracy.

If it weren’t for the Federalist Society, Trump would be making personal-loyalty appointments that would just help him get his way. People with narcissistic personality disorder have a loyalty complex.

Not when it’s a virus and social distancing guidelines are being issued by the CDC, while were on route to half a million dead.

“hey guys, lets wear masks at the party” Not too hard to say or do for a leading political figure. She should know better, so should everyone in attendance, Im done listening to excuses for these people.

Republicans call every decision not in line with their skewed world view ‘ideological’. Some examples of WHY you think they are might be nice.

Ted Cruz is not anyone whose judgment anyone should trust on anything, and had a hand in leading an insurrection against the United States government so I’ll pass on his take on things. And Fox’s.