Great Apartment but Smells Funny

Ask the landlord/agent who rented the place before you are looking into it.
Perhaps some group of people who like to cook with certain spices, etc., and the smell is ingrained in the apartment.
Otherwise, why rent it if your nostrils get destroyed in the process.

Keep looking.

To get rid of mould, you probably need an ozone generator on in there for quite a long time. Ozone in such a high quantity though also kills people and animals so not really practical, especially in apartments where it might sink into the apartments below.

1 Like

if the landlord isn’t going to clean the place before renting it to you, what do you think he’s going to do if the water heater breaks, the fridge craps out, or any other basic modern need isn’t being met?

Look elsewhere. Slumlords are many here and they get away with faaarrr more than slumlords in the West (who would at least be held to account if they were slumlording to anyone but working class people and students)

Why need be a lady?

不一定. you just need to be ready to walk away if the place is shitty. I’ve seen numerous apartments over the years, and was able to find clean and painted ones.

landlord will cheap out even if you rent a clean and expensive place :slight_smile: for them its an investment, there is no incentive to over spend.
My water heater broke, and my landlady compared 2 companies and got the cheapest model. As long as its fixed promptly, i dont mind the labdlord buying something cheap.

1 Like

I just spent 20k fixing plumbing and electrical in my new place. sometimes I just want things done right, not cheap. especially if they might kill me.

Taoyuan is universally known as the armpit of Taiwan and infamous for being ugly, so your comment was humorous.

I haven’t been myself (except the airport) so I can’t say.

The mountians are amazing. Taoyuan has amazingly gorgeous places. I wouldnt live in the cities. but I would say that for every county to be honest. Certain spots do seem to have a dirty red light district feeling though. It’s just uncomfortable to be around at night in certain spots, but that doesnt count for the whole county.

2 Likes

@ryznfree - sorry if this sounds very basic advice but you did say you are new to apartments in general:

Mold issues: run as fast as you can. Whatever mold you can see you can guarantee there are much much more spores floating about the apartment. You will be breathing those spores INTO YOUR LUNGS as you sleep. Don’t f*ck with you health. You only get one set of lungs (Christ, I sound like my mum :joy: :joy: :joy:)

1 Like

Yeah more could be a deep-seated problem and could require major repairs like that could have been a leak water leak from next door or above and now it’s in the drywall or something or the ceiling and that is very bad.

2 Likes