Greek Food - Kaohsiung

Gasp! My prayers have been answered! Someone has opened a Greek restaurant in Kaohsiung! :bouncy:

The Parthenon Mediterranean Restaurant - 211 Minghua 1st Rd, Zuoying, Kaohsiung. Open 11am-11pm. Closed Mondays.

Haven’t been there yet. But will probably be waiting on the front door step when they open tomorrow. I’m crazy about Greek food.

Don’t get your hopes up. The food was NOT good when I went there. Half of what was on the menu was not available. I went there with a Taiwanese person who does not speak English. We had to tell them quite a few times to talk to her in Chinese etc. Arrogant biatch who was serving us seemed to feel some need to show of her English. Beyond that their idea of Greek deserts is a joke. Nothing like what I would expect inspite of their arrogant rant on their menu about the deserts.
Although it is far from perfect I think the Greek restraunt in Tainan is a lot better than the one in Gaoxiong (Kaohsiung). It is on GongYuan Lu. Not sure of the number, but it is not hard to find.

[quote=“naguoning”]Don’t get your hopes up. The food was NOT good when I went there. Half of what was on the menu was not available. I went there with a Taiwanese person who does not speak English. We had to tell them quite a few times to talk to her in Chinese etc. Arrogant biatch who was serving us seemed to feel some need to show of her English. Beyond that their idea of Greek deserts is a joke. Nothing like what I would expect inspite of their arrogant rant on their menu about the deserts.
Although it is far from perfect I think the Greek restraunt in Tainan is a lot better than the one in Gaoxiong (Kaohsiung). It is on GongYuan Lu. Not sure of the number, but it is not hard to find.[/quote]

Yep.

:frowning: You were both right.
Babaganoush, icky. Spanikopita needed more feta.
And I had the same experience re: English speaking waitress. I haven’t had this happen to me in a restaurant for at least a year because my Chinese is, well, pretty good I guess. Felt like a slap in the face.
Also, not cheap.
Was willing to give the place another chance, just in case this was a one-off dodgy experience, but it sounds like this is the norm.

Give this place a miss!

I just ate there, horrible!!!

I love Turkish food and whoever taught them how to make it is out of their mind

I went there excitedly too. Taiwanese friends who heard me mention the Greek restaurant in Tainan told me about the Parthenon.

So I went there, sat down and looked at the menu. I asked the waiter “Where’s the Greek food?” He said “there is none”. I asked, “Yeah, but isn’t this a Greek restaurant?” He answered, “It’s just decorated in Greek style.”

So, I left.

But I came back a year or so later. A friend, my daughter and I ate the usual fare jien kao that you can find everywhere. They sell very nice chocolate covered almonds !

This restaurant is now closed at the above location. It is supposed to open again in April or May 2007 at a new location which will be advertised in the local press. Lets hope the food is better too :slight_smile:

Are there any Mediterranean restaurants in KS that are open and decent? I’ll be in town tomorrow and want some yummy food.

There’s Mr. Greek on 213 Fumin road. Its just south of Minghua I believe. Its a pseudo fast-food joint, I went there during their first week of operation about a month ago, so there may have been some hiccups- had their lamb platter and was disappointed because it was pretty tough and over-seasoned. Also, the hummous was unlike any I’ve ever had. Weird.

That being said, I think they’ve gotten their act together and are making some good food. A lot of my friends go there and swear by the chicken souvlaki and the hummous. Sounds like a good deal for 137NT (or whatever that arbitrary number is…). I’ll be back for round two, no doubt.

facebook.com/pages/Mr-Greek- … 59?sk=wall