Green Island vs. Orchid Island vs. Penghu

The Ten Year Anniversary is coming up in May so the wife and I are thinking a weekend on Green Island. Anybody have any good suggestions for places to stay? Like many Chinese, she can’t swim, and in fact is afraid of water that rises past her kneecaps, so snorkeling and diving are out. Is there stuff to do other than water activities?

What about Penghu or Orchid as alternatives? I’ve only been to Penghu but that was in the early 1990s, so I’m sure it’s changed.

I could look at the guidebooks, but I thought I’d ask fellow Forumosans first–many of you have lived in Taiwan for a very long time indeed, so any tips highly appreciated.

Mate, a life vest will liberate you both.

HG

Sometimes even a piece of foam attached to there back will not relieve a persons fear of water… It’s worth a try though.

I think all the islands are nice. They all have little things you guys could do together and the scenery is nice all around.

I would check the weather before making any definite plans though… I forgot which island has pretty bad winds in the winter.

Can only speak for Penghu - nice!

Best beaches I’ve seen in Taiwan/China.

cire wrote:

Good advice. Believe me, you don’t want to be on Penghu during the windy season. The farmers there have their paddies in specially constructed, stone fenced “hollows” to protect their crops from the winds.

Penhu is great. Nice food, beautiful scenery and the hotel where I stayed, the tall one by the harbour, had a number of package deals to visit the numerous smaller islands around Penghu.

What about Jinmen? Lots of historical spots to explore and other cool things.

Jinmen is fabulous! We were just there last weekend though.

Green Island it is. We’ve book a package with the Green Island Adventures outfit: 4 days/3 nights in mid-May. I’ll be sure to give a report once we get back.

yes please let us know how it goes :slight_smile:

My wife, daughter and I are starting to research/plan for a brief, 3 day trip to one of Taiwan’s islands. I’ve read a few threads on forumosa and noticed a few posters who have been to several of the islands and rated Lanyu as the best, subject to the following caveats:

• The boat ride there is guaranteed to make you puke, or if by some miracle you’re not puking at least all those around you will be (probably true of all the islands). So, if you want to avoid that you can fly there, but that’s likely to be quite an experience too, on the tiny, shaky aircraft (seats 19).

• There’s very beautiful, rugged coastline there, rugged mountains, great scenery, and lots of goats, all surrounded by the magnificent ocean, but there’s not much to do there other than motorbike around, hike, check out the aborigines, and swim in the ocean – that is, the place remains very, very undeveloped, so don’t expect fancy lodging, meals or entertainment.

• Bring food with you, because there’s not much more than dried fish and instant noodles available there.

• I’ve read about crystal clear waters and great snorkeling/scuba diving, but I also read somewhere that there’s only one sandy beach (near the airport). True? For nice beaches, would another island be better?

• Don’t point/stare at the locals, just because they’re completely uneducated, provicincial, loin-cloth wearing (not quite, but almost) aborigines. Duh.

• And don’t worry too much about the nuclear waste dump at the end of hte island; a weekend on the island probably won’t affect you more than an xray (that comment courtesy of the rats: a sincere comment from forumosans who are scientists that briefly looked into that question and understand the issue better than the rest of us).

Anyone who’s been there have anything to add? Any photos to post?

Is it really a FUN place to visit or is it more of an INTERESTING sociological adventure (not that there’s anything wrong with that at all; just trying to get a feel for the place)?

If a person wanted to enjoy nice beaches and swim in the ocean, would they be better off choosing Green Island (are there decent beaches there), although Green Island is more typical Taiwanese culture, so one misses out on the opportunity to witness aboriginal culture as one would on Lanyu?

Ok, so far, for a family vacation with not too adventurous wife and small child, Green Island sounds better than Orchid. Better/more accomodations.

But now we’re thinking Penghu might be the best of the three, because I understand that Green and Orchid both pretty much lack any decent beaches, whereas Penghu has lots of beaches.

For our family, I think interesting archaelogical/sociological exploration is not so important. Nice hotel, decent food, and good beaches are probably higher priorities. Am I right that Penghu is therefore the place to go?

Penghu is nice and you can fly directly from Taipei I think. Rent scooters. Have a blast. :slight_smile:

Thanks for the confirmation, but Damn!

We’re making plans for next weekend – Moonfestival weekend. We’ll take an extra day off.

But my wife called just now to make flight reservations to Penghu and they sold out long ago (of course). For Green Island we’re on the waiting list, but we may get seats. If not, I guess maybe we end up staying in Taidong, which wouldn’t be a bad alternative.

Other possibilities I mentioned to her are either Kenting (including camping there) or camping in the mountains somewhere. I’ve not yet drug her out in the woods, overnight with the dirt, snakes, bugs and mosquitos and it may be a challenge getting her consent, notwithstanding that my daughter’s very eager to go and I know we would all have a great time. But, I suspect we’ll end up in a hotel somewhere instead.

Go to Kending then. HSR and a taxi/shuttle bus. I know a good B&B right off the strip, and across the street from the beach.

Xiao Liuqiu - close to the coast, so I think the ferry ride is quite short. If you can’t get there then you’re not far from Kending.

PM me…I know just the right spot.

Thanks for the confirmation, but Damn!

We’re making plans for next weekend – Moonfestival weekend. We’ll take an extra day off.

But my wife called just now to make flight reservations to Penghu and they sold out long ago (of course). For Green Island we’re on the waiting list, but we may get seats. If not, I guess maybe we end up staying in Taidong, which wouldn’t be a bad alternative.

Other possibilities I mentioned to her are either Kending (including camping there) or camping in the mountains somewhere. I’ve not yet drug her out in the woods, overnight with the dirt, snakes, bugs and mosquitos and it may be a challenge getting her consent, notwithstanding that my daughter’s very eager to go and I know we would all have a great time. But, I suspect we’ll end up in a hotel somewhere instead.[/quote]

MT, if you want to camp in Taidong, try Hong Ye hot springs, the scenery is quite nice, it is usually not to crowded, and there are facilities to keep the wife and young’n happy.
They have swimming facilities, hot spring hot tubs, as well as the natural hot springs in the river just next to the campgrounds.
Bring a boogie board and a float tube for the daughter and you can chill out on the river. The water level is quite good right now, due to the nice rainfall we have had lately.
It is run by the Bunan tribe.
PM me if you need more details.