'Green' Island's coral black with sewage?

Here is a pretty grim report on the status of Green Island’s coral:

reuters.com/article/environm … HL20090206

Anyone been down there recently? Is it as bad as they’re saying?

From that article.

Shudder!

HG

The shops on various islands ( I am thinking Punghu) sell coral name chops that are “not the kind of coral it is not ok to take”. What kind of coral IS ok to take??? They also sell large turtle shells that they promise are ok to take. With the lack regard for endangered species, I am wary to believe this. After all, if you eat an exotic/endangered animal, doesn’t that show you are rich/have face/good for body/ aphrodisiac/whatever?
While I agree that tourists are a big part of the problem, I saw a lot of entire villages built (including houses and farm fences) built entirely out of coral (Punghu again).
I think it is attitude that needs to change overall. There is a lot of room to grow here regarding respect for the environment. Some have figured it out - you mostly find them on longer treks, but it seems the average Joe who can take a package tour or drive to a dayhike doesn’t have a clue. As evidenced by the difference in garbage on easy vs challenging trails.
The coral in the popular snorkel spots on Green Island is pretty grim. Flat from tens of thousands of people walking in the water on the coral and fairly devoid of anything interesting. I don’t remember black from sewage, but I don’t disbelieve it, either. There are some special spots, but challenging to get to. Orchid Island is the same. The locals won’t go in the water close to the villages because they say the water is “dirty”. :frowning:

[quote=“kage”]The coral in the popular snorkel spots on Green Island is pretty grim. Flat from tens of thousands of people walking in the water on the coral and fairly devoid of anything interesting.[/quote] I’ve snorkelled in two popular places there, and the coral I saw wasn’t flat, and it was definitely interesting.

Maybe you found better popular spots than I, or maybe I am remembering them compared to the excellent secluded spots that are more difficult to reach. It’s all relative, I guess.