Grim pictures of exhaust burns?

I’ll show you mine if you show me yours!

On Tuesday I was late for a training course in Yung-He. I had to ride my motorcycle from Hsindien in the rain…and was mighty irritated and soaking wet by the time I got to the school. I tried to squeeze my Sanyang 125 between two scooters, sending my bike and 3 others to the ground. The wonderful domino effect.

Luckily nobody saw and none of the scooters were damaged…I still don’t know how I managed to lift my monster (to me it is…) off me…but I got a nice burn from it. This is my 7th beauty. The worse one had me going to the hospital with 3rd degree burns!!!

any stories and pics?

ps. I’m not going to post the pics if it isn’t allowed (some ppl may complain that’s why I named the post this way to WARN oozy readers)
So mods…may I?

I’m not a C&M mod but I can tell you a general guideline – if it’s particularly gruesome it’s better to post the link (not the pic), i.e., paste the link but don’t use the Img button to make it appear as a picture. But I doubt your burn would be objectionable (speaking personally) if posted as a pic.

Oh, and OUCH! Sorry to hear this.

PS – have you considered riding a smaller bike like a 90 or 50? A 125 is a lot of bike to lift for someone your size, and it’s pretty common to have to lift the rear end to scoot it over a bit when parking and so on. Plus a slightly smaller bike fits more easily into parking spots. Or are you a wild gal who loves doing triple digit speeds? :laughing:

Sorry to hear about that, Battery9.

The general principle is to link gruesome images, rather than posting them inline, as Dragonbones says. So I guess it depends on the definition of gruesome. If you think that viewing the pics would put people off eating their lunch, for example, then probably better to post a link only.

[quote=“Dragonbones”]PS – have you considered riding a smaller bike like a 90 or 50? A 125 is a lot of bike to lift for someone your size, and it’s pretty common to have to lift the rear end to scoot it over a bit when parking and so on. Plus a slightly smaller bike fits more easily into parking spots. Or are you a wild gal who loves doing triple digit speeds? :laughing:[/quote]We’re talking about a real, geared motorbike here, right? At least I assume that’s what Battery9 means by a “Sanyang 125”. That’s about the lightest real motorbike you can get, although the modern SYM Legend 125 might be a little lighter than the older “farmer bikes”!

yes, it’s the lightest…its like those bikes people ride with gas tanks on the back:)

I have a 50cc but live on a mountain and that little thing can’t make it up the hills.

Sorry about the burns battery9. I hope it heals quickly. If I were you I’d get an aloe vera plant and apply juice from that. I believe aloe is a miracle drug.

I don’t have any burn pics, but I have a good photo at home of my wife’s foot with 73 needles from a sea urchin in it, that I took on our Philipine vacation a few years ago. I used to have the photo in an album of the trip, but every time I neared that page my daughter would run from the room in fear, so I finally removed it. I’ll see if I can take a digital photo of it so I can share it with you. :slight_smile:

oh no no no…I love the burns. It’s like those Hello Kitty magnets…once you got one, you can’t stop:) hahaha
It was the whole domino effect that made me a tad irritated.

thanks for the tip!

[quote=“Mother Theresa”]I don’t have any burn pics, but I have a good photo at home of my wife’s foot with 73 needles from a sea urchin in it, that I took on our Philipine vacation a few years ago. I used to have the photo in an album of the trip, but every time I neared that page my daughter would run from the room in fear, so I finally removed it. I’ll see if I can take a digital photo of it so I can share it with you. :slight_smile:[/quote]73! That’s a lot. I had quite a few sea urchin needles dug out from my foot in Portugal, but not nearly that many.

She made me count them.

But she pissed on her foot all by herself (that’s what the experts recommend for sea urchin punctures; I don’t know if it helps for burns).

not good!

aloe helps a lot, vit E cream helps later to assist skin regrowth, taken with plenty of vitamin C internally (try orange juice!)

the gold standard for second degree burns treatment is still Silvazine ointment if you can find it. the main thing is to keep it free from infection. keeing it dry helps initially, and not scratching it when it gets itchy as the nerves regrow… if you can stand it.

Aww… poor diddums.
There there, there there.

You just don’t fit in here until you get that muffler burn. :wink: Got my first one on a XR 200 when I was about 12 YO. My bro had been beating the bike up for about an hour and the pipe was nearly red. 3rd degree the size of a kiwi. Got home and my mother called my aunt for advice. The word was to put toothpaste on the burn. :astonished: Yes, you heard me. Toothpaste! To this day, I still think my aunt wanted to torture me. Man did it hurt.

ouchie!!! It would have been better…but I didn’t cover it up…and took my dog for a walk…she ran after something and the leash cut off half of the skin…hahahah!!!

i14.photobucket.com/albums/a329/ … NY1188.jpg

Any home remedies for road rash?

It’s for a young, fair lass not myself. I’m hoping all my scar tissue will connect someday giving me a “newly painted” look.

[quote=“Bubba 2 Guns”]Any home remedies for road rash?

It’s for a young, fair lass not myself. I’m hoping all my scar tissue will connect someday giving me a “newly painted” look.[/quote]I was very sorry to hear about the accident. Hope you both feel better soon. Here are some excellent suggestions for treating road rash:[quote]Conventional treatment of abrasions and road rash included treating the area by cleaning the wound with mild soap and water or a mild antiseptic wash (hydrogen peroxide), and then covering the area with an antibiotic ointment and a dry dressing. New evidence shows that this treatment approach actually may cause tissue damage and increase healing time. (See Immediate Steps for Treating Abrasions). It has also been shown that the use of antiseptics, such as hydrogen peroxide “can actually cause harm to the tissue and interfer with function, which can further increase the injury and lengthen the healing process. Topical antimicrobials have been shown to be detrimental to fibroblasts and other cells needed for wound restoration.” (Basler, et al, 2001)

While a severe abrasion should be seen and abraded (cleaned) by a physician, there are some things you can do to help the healing process on your own. The recommended method of treating abrasions and road rash injuries includes the follows steps. First, because abrasions can easily become infected, you should clean the area thoroughly and remove any dirt and debris. Ideally, you want to irrigate the area with nontoxic surfactant (0.9% sodium chloride or Shur-Clens) under some pressure (use a syringe if possible). The area must be completely clean. If necessary, use a clean gauze to gently scrub the area. Do not scrub vigorously, as this can cause more tissue damage.

Use a semi-permeable dressing (Tegaderm, Bioclusive or Second Skin, for instance) to cover the wound and attach the dressing to dry healthy skin with adhesive tape. The dressing should be changed every few days. Keep the wound moist until it has healed. A moist environment will promote healing through improved cell migration and gaseous exchange, ease of removal of excess exudate, protection from bacteria and other contaminants. (Basler et al, 2001).

Your tetanus status is very important to avoid infection and if you aren’t certain when you had your last tetanus shot or if your last booster was more than 10 years ago, you should see a physician and get a tetanus immunization. Tetanus is an acute infectious disease in which the voluntary muscles go into spasm. It is not only caused by stepping on a rusty nail. It can also “develop in wounds in which the flesh is torn or burned.” (See Adults Need Tetanus Shots, Too).

A Word About Deep Lacerations

While cleaning the skin abrasion you should look for any deep cuts that may require stitches to heal properly. Cuts that continue to bleed after 15 minutes of direct pressure, or cuts that extend deep into the skin and have edges that pull apart, may require stitches. If you are unsure of the need for stitches, you should see a physician immediately.

Healing

With an abrasion the layers of skin removed will heal from the deeper layers to the surface layers, and from the outer edges to the center. As healing begins the area of the abrasion may look pink and raw. Over time, the wound will form new skin that is pink and smooth.

Prevention

Prevention of abrasions is possible by wearing protective pads, and covering any exposed skin with a layer of clothing. Generally, it is impossible to predict when you will suffer from an abrasion, so it is wise to have the necessary first aid supplies available in the event of an emergency.[/quote]From:
sportsmedicine.about.com/cs/inju … asions.htm

I was parking the motorcycle after hammering weights at the gym all afternoon. It’s a 150cc cruiser with a highback passenger rest, so it takes a good roundhouse to clear the top. I grabbed the bars for support and just as i start the backswing both my quad and hamstring cramp up. Needless to say, straightening or curling my leg was equally painful, but not nearly as much as the burning sensation in my calve as it roasted against the header tube. It took a few seconds to regain control of my muscles but by then the damage was done.

Over the next few days it blistered and bubbled and changed colors from a charcoal grey to pink to white. About a month later it no longer required band-aids but i kept it covered to prevent sunburn of the new skin.

Here is the lime sized patch and it has been about a year.

-a3g[/img]

I have to put in my Go Kart tire burn now because nothing you have here is even REMOTELY disgusting… :smiling_imp:

That thing took a full month to finally close up. Full advocate of closed up moist healing now, as leaving it exposed to air did nothing but bring me pain.

Left a nice scar too…

Ooo! That reminds me of a few years ago when I was too tall to exit the go cart I was in so I put my hands behind the seat to lever myself out and put my full weight onto my hand which was on top of the rear brake disk which had been racing all morning. Tssssssssssss! :astonished: :astonished:

[quote=“MJB”]Full advocate of closed up moist healing now, as leaving it exposed to air did nothing but bring me pain.

Left a nice scar too…[/quote]I don’t think that either closed up moist healing or exposure to air are optimal. I think they can both lead to scarring and take longer to heal.

I posted about road rash here, but I think that the general principles apply to burns too. I used that “second skin” stuff on a fairly bad burn, to good effect.

OOOOOOPS I did it again!
First, the scar that first one left…

and then, new one I got on Tuesday while trying to park. Then on Wednesday I parked uphill and couldnt start my bike, so had to kickstart it, and the thing fell on me and burnt the same place again!!! hahahahahha

would be ok, but then last nite in my sleep I scratched it and all the skin came off…should have bandaged it…!!! aaaargh. Not putting up a pic of it without the skin…just what it looked like before i scratched it.

so I now have almost 10:)

Just got nr 13 2 nights ago…was at the same spot I always burn it…so half of it made a blister and the other half was on the spot where there is just NO skin anymore…so it didn’t even bother…Will put up a pic later.