Grim repercussions of posting political cartoons

Sometimes the repercussions of posting political cartoons can be grim indeed. Ezra Levant, who published the Danish cartoons of Mohammed in his Western Standard Magazine, was called up in front of the farcical Aberta Human Rights Commission. His excellent speech sure irritates the mid-level bureaucrat in charge of the hearings. I recommend listening to all three of the hearings below.

littlegreenfootballs.com/weblog/ … crime&only

Wow. Winning friends and influencing people. :laughing:

He gets the Basketballs Award of the Day!
:bravo:

[quote=“jdsmith”]Wow. Winning friends and influencing people. :laughing:
[/quote]

If the Alberta Human Rights Commission actually rules in favor of Syed Soharwardy, I will realize just how much political correctness has become ingrained into the fabric of Canadian society. This claim should have been thrown out the minute it was filed. Being brought up by ultra-left feminists, I agree with some tenets of political correctness. However, this lawsuit is a form of McCarthyism on the left. I’m glad Levant is quoting the Charter of Rights and Freedoms to defend himself.

relapsedcatholic.blogspot.com/20 … ehind.html

dustmybroom.com/

I hope Ezra Levant files a complaint with the federal Human Rights Commission, naming all of these group members below as co-defendants. I also hope that he provides us with daily updates of the progress of the case, and how vigorously the HRC pursues his case. Let us see if they pursue these people as rigorously as they have pursued him.

smalldeadanimals.com/archives/007823.html

I can count on the fingers of one hand the people I know of who believe as I do in the right to free speech as a universal principle.

Yep, I started bitching against these odious laws when they were first came out while too many of my lefty colleagues were cheering them on:
“But it’s okay to go after Keegstra- you can’t let Holocaust deniers run around saying all those terrible lies.”

And guess what? They ain’t just for right-wingers:

nationalreview.com/comment/bernstein

I don’t follow Canadian news much any more, but I didn’t realise things were getting that bad.

Never happen in America- what do you expect from a country whose Constitution is based on “peace, order and good government.”?

Okay, spook, MikeN. Anybody else?

Straw man, spook.

Should I take that to mean there are some points of view you would believe shouldn’t be allowed to be expressed?

Yes.

Then my point is valid, is it not, that there are actually very few people such as myself and, presumably, MikeN, who believe in the right to freedom of expression as a principle equally applied to everyone.

Probably.
But I wasn’t referring to your point that there are few people will to take a hard line on freedom of speech.
I was referring to your --correct me if wrong – apparent use of this idiotic case to push back against all limits on free speech.

[quote=“Jaboney”]Probably.
But I wasn’t referring to your point that there are few people will to take a hard line on freedom of speech.
I was referring to your --correct me if wrong – apparent use of this idiotic case to push back against all limits on free speech.[/quote]

By “idiotic case” I presume you mean something like this:

"U.S. Constitution: First Amendment

First Amendment - Religion and Expression

Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the Government for a redress of grievances."

FIRE!!! FIRE!!!

No. Last I checked neither Canada, generally, nor Alberta, specifically, is governed by the First Amendment. The Alberta Human Rights Commission certainly isn’t.

The language of rights, having proven to be successful in combating all sorts of entrenched social ills, has been far too widely extended. In this case, by a quasi-judicial body interested in offense rather than serious harm.

I support limitations on freedom of speech where individuals actively promote hatred and violence.

As any “idiot” knows, you’re not expressing your opinions or beliefs. You’re making a false claim that results in immediate, demonstrable bodily harm to others.

No reasonable person believes the founders meant you should be able to cause deadly stampedes with your speech.

[quote=“Jaboney”]No. Last I checked neither Canada, generally, nor Alberta, specifically, is governed by the First Amendment. The Alberta Human Rights Commission certainly isn’t.

The language of rights, having proven to be successful in combating all sorts of entrenched social ills, has been far too widely extended. In this case, by a quasi-judicial body interested in offense rather than serious harm.

I support limitations on freedom of speech where individuals actively promote hatred and violence.[/quote]

That’s fine, but it’s not fair to call absolute freedom of expression the “idiot” case, given its long legal history. It’s also questionable whether Canada really believes in “freedom of speech” or something lesser.

As any “idiot” knows, you’re not expressing your opinions or beliefs. You’re making a false claim that results in immediate, demonstrable bodily harm to others.

No reasonable person believes the founders meant you should be able to cause deadly stampedes with your speech.[/quote]
How about “Death to AMERIKKKA!”

Is that better? If I make it such that a certain type of speech would result in violence and a stampede, would that speech then be “unreasonable?”

In the case of the “FIRE!” thing, common sense might dictate that people would look the fuck around them before mindlessly stampeding out the door.

[quote=“spook”][quote=“Jaboney”]No. Last I checked neither Canada, generally, nor Alberta, specifically, is governed by the First Amendment. The Alberta Human Rights Commission certainly isn’t.

I support limitations on freedom of speech where individuals actively promote hatred and violence.[/quote]

That’s fine, but it’s not fair to call absolute freedom of expression the “idiot” case, given its long legal history. It’s also questionable whether Canada really believes in “freedom of speech” or something lesser.[/quote]Actually, the idiot case to which I refer is the one before the Alberta Human Rights Commission.

The hard line case for freedom of expression, I would characterize as intellectually interesting. It would be compelling if we could assume common sense.

No reasonable person believes the founders meant you should be able to cause deadly stampedes with your speech.[/quote]
How about “Death to America!”

Is that better? If I make it such that a certain type of speech would result in violence and a stampede, would that speech then be “unreasonable?”

In the case of the “FIRE!” thing, common sense might dictate that people would look the fuck around them before mindlessly stampeding out the door.[/quote]

You should keep in mind that you have the right to say “fire!, fire!” anytime you merely want to make a political point or express an opinion, just as you should have the right to say “Death to America” or “we should turn Iraq into a glass parking lot” in order to make a point.

You should also have the right to publish cartoons of the prophet Muhammed even though it will predictably result in unlawful acts of violence.