Guidance on (re)applying for work visa and ARC

Hello!

I’m here hoping to gain some knowledge and insight on how to proceed. Below is my situation;

Taiwan is home to me. I’m a Canadian born, Canadian citizen. My family and I moved here in 1988 and have been here since. I went to kindergarten here, graduated elementary school, graduated junior high school, passed the high school exam, all here in Taiwan public schools. My first complete language is Mandarin. I speak, read and write fluently.

My parents own a language school here, which was established in Minguo year 82 (1993), which is the same year we all got our ARC. My family has paid taxes every year since we’ve been here in 1988.

After high school, I returned back to Canada for university, and since I wasn’t able to come back to Taiwan every 6 months, I was forced to let my ARC expire (regret it big time). It was simply not possible, nor economically feasible for me to come back and frequently. My parents have remained here the entire time. Both my parents hold permanent ARCs; APRCs. Both my parents have national health insurance, and my father even has labor insurance.

My father has also been a professor over the last 15 years at two major universities in Taiwan, on top of teaching at their (his and my mother’s) language school.

I have all sorts of documentation. I’ve been able to obtain my record of residency from immigration.

What options do I have? I’ve been to the department of Education, Labor, Immigration, and no one has really been able to help me. I’ve grasping at straws applying for whatever I can online only to run into obstacles and after obstacles put in place by people who can’t tell me what information/documentation I’m missing or even willing to really help me overcome them.

If you are familiar with my situation, or knowledgeable in the process, or know someone I can call/speak to, or know specifically what application I should be using, I’d greatly appreciate your help and insight.

Thank you all, good luck to those who need and Happy New Year!

1 Like

Are your parents Taiwanese?

Hey Marco!

No. They are Canadian passport holders, but are permanent residents of Taiwan. They don’t live in Canada anymore and haven’t lived there since 1988.

Employer sponsored ARC seems easiest.

Ok. Do you have a Chinese ethnic background?

Do you have more information on that? A specific link or application form required by the employer?

No.

Ok. Trying to see if you were Taiwanese/Chinese by ethnicity and get you a ROC passport.

Given the timeframes, there probably wasn’t an APRC for you to apply for when you went to High school.

If you have a uni degree, you could just probably get a job here. Some do English Teaching, but if you are a fluent Mandarin speakers, the possibilities of office work are endless and you’d be a rare worker with proficiency in both.

1 Like

If you get a job the employer will do it for you. Or you can do it yourself. It happens after you get a job.

I do have a university degree, from a school recognized by the Taiwan Department of Education.

I know I can find work here. That really isn’t the issue. I’m trying to remain self-employed, and that would require me to obtain my visa on my own.

I’m just surprised that given my history, and how this country is literally my home, that I have no recourse or options different than any other foreigner whose been here a week.

Anyways. It is what it is. Not trying to complain, just disheartening.

Then you’d need to open your own business. You got $20000 Canadian?

Very few countries are going to give foreigners special treatment even with previous experience.

1 Like

It very much is what it is. I came here in 1990 and am still on an ARC. But that’s all you need. Just get a job and after five years apply for an APRC.

2 Likes

You’re obviously quite old. It’s not unreasonable for a country not to want you getting permanent residence if you’re not earning. Healthcare costs etc.