Guide: How to apply for household registration (hukou) for a newborn

100 percent certain.

When you register the Hukou, they won’t ask for any proof of English name, as most parents don’t have any proof of English name. They will also not ask you to pick a transliterated English name. They will only ask for proof of English name, or for you to pick a transliterated English name if you apply for an English Household Registration Transcript, or apply for the child’s first passport. The English name does not need to be anywhere on the Chinese language HRC (戶口名捕).

See my post about registering a ‘real’ English name:

I registered my child’s English name a few days after originally registering the Hukou. I used the hospital issued English birth certificate. I now have an English language Household Registration Transcript with my daughters ‘real’ English name. When I apply for my daughter’s first passport, they will legally have to use the same name as that transcript, and if they refuse then I can also show them the hospital issued English birth certificate, which according to the Passport Act, is also enough to use a non transliterated English name.

https://www.boca.gov.tw/cp-144-470-469a7-2.html

2 Likes