Guitar repair thread

So here goes…

I started an event called “guitar repair discussion” and originally I wanted to use an online chat room, but I don’t know how many on this forum play guitars, and if everyone could show up at a set time, so I decided starting a thread is better.

So I am starting this thread to answer any questions from guitar players about how to maintain or do simple repair for their guitars, or where to buy various parts and accessories for their guitar. I will answer as quickly as I can, unless I have to do some research or I’m sleeping or something.

1 Like

By the way, if you want to ask questions via PM that is fine too… if you are asking questions you rather not have out in the open.

If anyone has any guitar related question, pickup choices, how to record, how to diagnose problems (like why won’t that buzz go away, why is that pot scratchy, why is there so much annoying hum, etc.) and how to care for guitars so you don’t end up with serious issues like your guitar neck feeling like a hacksaw blade because of frets sticking out. Feel free to ask.

I have a situation where my front pickups don’t register sound until I crank the volume pretty high. My guitars are being shipped right now so I figured I’d get them to an expert for some TLC when they arrive. Any recs for someone good in Tianmu?

I can help you but I’m not in tienmu, however I can go there to pick up your guitar if it’s convenient for you.

It could very well be dirty or scratchy pot. Does it make scratching noise when you turn the volume knob?

Sometimes it could be a bad connection, either bad solder or even loose jack spring.

I’ll ask again in another month when my guitars arrive.

Let me know them… I guess you’re having it shipped by sea or having a friend bring it as luggage

Have you gotten the guitar?

Not yet. I plan to move into my new place next Tues, and I’ll see how messed up everything is then.

are you moving to Tienmu?

Yes…I’ve been in temporary housing for 2 months and will move into my place in Tianmu next week. I have a tele, epi Les Paul, and Washburn d10 and we’ll see how well they’ve endured storage and transportation then. I suspect they’ll all need some TLC.

I suspect they’ll at least need a full setup. Did you loosen the strings while they are being transported? Oftentimes a guitar is damaged because someone didn’t loosen the string, and if the case were dropped, sometime the combined force of string tension and the drop can snap the head. But a tele is almost impossible to snap, it takes Jimi Hendrix quite a bit of effort to break a strat on purpose. But a les paul is quite fragile (but I am not sure if an epiphone has a different design, Gibson really didn’t design their instruments against damage). I fixed quite a few Gibson guitars for this reason… the head snaps if you look at it funny.

2 Likes

I wish I spoke to you before I left…I didn’t loosen the strings before packing. I wasn’t even there when they were packed, so my guitars are at the mercy of the Malaysian moving company’s workers. My tele and Washburn have survived 25 years of alternative abuse and neglect, so I suspect they’ll come through. The epi…it’s new and a princess, so we’ll see.

1 Like

If you used a van line, they’re probably more careful with your stuff than say an airline bag handler. However the sea air does mess with setup…

I never seen a Fender style guitar snap unless the owner intentionally breaks it. It took Jimi Hendrix a lot of effort to break it.

Hi! My friends moved and gave me their old guitar… some of the strings are missing and some are rusty. I would like to change the strings and learn how to play. My question is… is it expensive to change guitar strings (all of them)? I am guessing I can go to a guitar store and ask a clerk to help me do it? I’d be very thankful if you could give me some advice on how to do this and how much I need to spend. I live in Taipei, Ximen area. Thank you!

Most music stores can change string for you if you ask and buy a set. A set should be around 200.

But what they won’t do is a proper setup. That’s if you want the guitar to play very well, and at least for me I polish the frets, clean the guitar, and see if I discover any issues.

If the strings are rusty and the guitar unloved, you probably need a proper setup. Taiwan Luthier can do it well, and he’s not expensive.

1 Like

How much is your set up service?

1000nt, this includes polishing the frets and cleaning up your guitar. You must provide a set of strings or I can buy them for you for the cost of the strings plus 100. If it’s heavier string purchasing cost is 200. They are harder to find in Taiwan.

1 Like

I have a question for an expert as yourself. I know it will be a depends answer.
How often should strings be changed? Let us say a stringed instrument still sounds ok, is it still necessary to change at certain intervals? I guess it is like changing the oil on a bike, time × use or something. What is your guide? I think I change mine too often , about every 6 weeks to 2 months. I practice about 4 times a week.