Guitars available for pre order

He’s recorded two guitar tracks.

2 Likes

Anyway, way to go. That’s good promotional material. Now try to use it!

PS: it’s a pity that the video quality isn’t up to the sound quality.

1 Like

Yeah, two guitars, two tracks. One rhythm, one lead.

1 Like

I’m happy to share that I’ve ordered a guitar from @Taiwan_Luthiers - so there should be a few more from this “pilot build” batch coming available soon.
I encourage you all to start/enrich your musical journey and support TL in doing so!

13 Likes

This is my pprogress so far. There is some time saving in using pre made necks.

1 Like

Those are some very pretty plane shavings.

Yea I only get those pretty plane shaving if I’m shaving something as narrow as a fretboard. Soon as I try to plane anything that’s the width of the iron it chatters and won’t cut. If I got money I like to get a hand held power plane. Those are actually incredibly useful even for surfacing lumber to get you a flat reference surface without needing a jointer.

Bevel the corners slightly when you sharpen? Narrow the throat? Screw the frog down harder? Use a high-angle plane? Run it at a 45 degree angle? I dunno, hand planes are impossible, sometimes I get perfect results but mostly not. Oiling or waxing the plane bed definitely helps.

I feel like a power-planer wouldn’t work great on such narrow material. I have one and you’re welcome to it, I never use it – the thickness planer and a jig is so much easier. A benchtop belt sander might work for these, but they’re expensive.

1 Like

Sure I’ll take your power planer if you don’t want it. I can use it as a jointer or use it to surface a crooked lumber to get a good reference surface. Stumpy Nubs have a video on this. You just gotta be sure the blade is SHARP.

I have a cheap ass Chinese plane that needs better iron, cap, and chipbreaker. The Y yoke needs replacement as well. I refuse to pay 500USD for a freaking hand plane… I can buy a jointer for that price.

Sure. It’s a cheap local one, come get it here in Beitou if you like, just PM me:

I have a lovely vintage Stanley #4 that needs some refurbishment if you’re interested:

I got a new Luban #4 1/2 for something like US$45 which I haven’t even taken out of the bag yet, but have high hopes for – I have their #5 1/2 jack and it’s excellent. Luban/Qiansheng/whatever are really good, and cheap on Alibaba. No need to buy Veritas or whatever.

3 Likes

That’s beautiful

It was until I neglected it for years. Now it needs flattening, and I never did find something to use as a flattening plate.

If only there were a machinist who could take that off your hands :slightly_smiling_face:

I had to flatten the cheap chinese plane I have too, the sole was warped.

Classical guitars are a lot smaller than regular guitars, if you got a dreadnought it will not fit. I can build classical guitar sized steel string guitars but the sound volume and projection will suffer as a result. A classical guitar is also shorter than a steel string guitar.

One reason I elect to build Dreadnought style guitars as a standard is because it’s a very common shape and size, meaning cases and accessories will more often than not fit it.

Fretboard glued to the neck.

If I had made my own necks these steps would have taken at least a week or two. Basically glue the neck blank together, wait. Plane the top of the neck flat, plane the peghead flat, plane the back of the peghead flat, route for the truss rod, carve the neck, etc.

But now These two is done in 2 days.

1 Like

This is too funny.

Have you ever done a twelve string guitar? What would the difference in price be?

12 string acoustic or electric guitar?

12 string electric guitar is no different than a 6 string electric guitar, except it uses 12 string so requires 12 tuners and a bridge that takes 12 strings.

I’ve restored a Galiano 12 string guitar a long time ago. Its construction is no different than a 6 string guitar except the braces and soundboard needs to be more substantial. Other than that it requires 12 tuners, a wider neck, and all that.

Before:

After

If you want me to build a 12 string, it will be treated as a custom order. However you may order a base model, such as the 15,000nt guitar that I am building. I can then make it a 12 string by changing some design elements to suit it… I’ll probably have to add about 20,000nt to the price however since it will require fairly radical re-design and all that.

It will have no binding however, and won’t be a cutaway (not sure why you’d want a cutaway on a 12 string…).

2 Likes

So the premium to build a 12 string is $20K NT? What if you build one from scratch instead of redesigning?

The reason I ask is because obviously the neck is wider for the 12 strings. But if building a custom from scratch (vs. redesigning) is the same as a 6 string even better.

Same reason you’d want a cutaway on a 6 string. That’s what Rickenbackers are known for.