Gun pulled on Taichung foreigner, police don't care

Well its illegal to have a gun, and thus automatically all the thugs have at least one. :astonished:

Who hasn’t had a gun pulled on them?
granted, some of us tend to engage more than others…
:whistle:

I find this really hard to believe, anything to support it? I looked around and found this:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gun_violence

http://www.nationmaster.com/graph/cri_gun_vio_hom_ove_hom_rat_per_100_pop-rate-per-100-000-pop[/quote]
Probably confused Taiwan with Thailand.

Taiwan ranks very low actually, just google “taiwan gun deaths”.

Well it is hard to kill someone with a BB gun.

HG

At 0.17 deaths per 100,000 inhabitants, Taiwan is doing very well compared to most, rather near the bo0ttom of the tables than near the top I would say.

I have only seen some cops carrying guns, and I have never been in a situation where a gun was pulled. I have never heard about places where you can buy a piece, and never heard of any getting shot.

If the stats were above say the US or Brazil, at least something woiuld surface in the media from time to time. Here, the only thing surfacing is the fact that even the poice has not clue to how guns are used and what they can do.

This is one of the most major understatements ever made on this board.

If people only knew how true this is they would never get near one of these ‘Barney Fife’ yokels.

[quote]

I find this really hard to believe, anything to support it? [/quote]

Between 1995-97, Taiwan’s homicide rate was greater than that of the US. fbi.gov/ucr/cius_02/html/web … ble02.html
eng.stat.gov.tw/public/data/dgba … g/y081.pdf

From the New York Times [Pulitzer prize winning journalist Sheryl WuDunn]:

Here is another story about police neglect involving foreign women students. Back around 1986-87, there was a Taiwanese guy raping foreign students at the mandarin training center. These crimes went on for about 18 months–until he raped a German student.

He left her tied up at a construction site (near He-ping and Hsin-sheng S. Rd) while he went to eat breakfast. She escaped and got the police. 6+ foreign women testified at his trial. They don’t know how many he had raped because some had left Taiwan. He was sentenced to death and the German student spoke against his execution…but he was executed.

BUT!!!

The police and the MTC knew about the rapes and didn’t warn the female students that a rapist was targeting foreign students. The police claimed they didn’t want to scare him away. So…he continued to rape until the German girl escaped.

[quote=“Chewycorns”][quote]

Between 1995-97, Taiwan’s homicide rate was greater than that of the US. [/quote]
The argument was about homicide by GUNS, not homicide in general.

[quote=“Rascal”][quote=“Chewycorns”][quote]

Between 1995-97, Taiwan’s homicide rate was greater than that of the US. [/quote]
The argument was about homicide by GUNS, not homicide in general.[/quote]
DAMN YOU Chewy!!! Damn you for adding to the discussion! :raspberry:

Put your snippy remarks back where they came from, because you aren’t adding anything to the discussion.

Put your snippy remarks back where they came from, because you aren’t adding anything to the discussion.[/quote]
Guns is bad. :raspberry:

Put your snippy remarks back where they came from, because you aren’t adding anything to the discussion.[/quote]
Guns is bad. :raspberry:[/quote]
Ooooh! Rascal’s backseat moderating and Surly’s being impudent. This thread is now GOING somewhere! :laughing:

Now all we need is the ancient voice of hectoring reason. Oh damn, Sandman beat me too it. :slight_smile:

[quote=“Mr He”]At 0.17 deaths per 100,000 inhabitants, Taiwan is doing very well compared to most, rather near the bo0ttom of the tables than near the top I would say.

I have only seen some cops carrying guns, and I have never been in a situation where a gun was pulled. I have never heard about places where you can buy a piece, and never heard of any getting shot.

If the stats were above say the US or Brazil, at least something woiuld surface in the media from time to time. Here, the only thing surfacing is the fact that even the poice has not clue to how guns are used and what they can do.[/quote]

From what I gather there are a lot of armed gangs in Taiwan. When police engage these gangs it does indeed become very dangerous, especially in rougher neighbourhoods. I met a policeman before and he told me himself (so it must be true :bow: ). I don’t think they are all the country bumpkins you make them out to be.

A few days ago a cop was shot dead -in Taichung.

Also, a female cop wrestled with a thief twice her size… and won. Was giving a commendation for her bravery and skills. Guy was armed, too.

So, there is indeed, danger out there…

You are off-topic.

:wink:

Icon, I was going to mention Taichung especially but I thought it may be unfair. Perhaps not.

I tutored this guy who was applying to grad schools in the US, he was in Chemistry, but his summer job for a few years was working at the Public Health administration, he knew all kinds of cool stuff.
So I asked him one time, like, how the leading causes of death here differed from the US and Europe, like, assuming that things like fatalities from traffic mishap and respiratory illness would be way more prevalent.
He said no, it was pretty much the same as the West, things like cancer, heart disease, all the same.
Except Wu Lai.
WTF?
I asked what he meant, he said Wu Lai was right off the fuckin grid.
The leading cause of death in Wu Lai was, he said, consistently, violent crime, knifings, stranglings, bludgeonings, and, of course, gunshot.
I was flabbergasted, I said, well, how can that be?
He says, easy, anytime some wise guy gets popped in Taipei or Taipei County, they dump the stiff in Wu Lai.
I got your stats, right here…

I also asked about stats once and I recall there was something really weird about the way they book road accidents. From a bad memory it was something to do with no longer booking road accident as the cause of death if the person survived a certain period of time but later died in hospital, even where the death was a direct result of injuries received in a road accident. Again still vague, but I recall it was a neat trick, as the way they did it somehow managed not to overload the stats on deaths in hospitals.

HG

[quote=“Huang Guang Chen”]I also asked about stats once and I recall there was something really weird about the way they book road accidents. From a bad memory it was something to do with no longer booking road accident as the cause of death if the person survived a certain period of time but later died in hospital, even where the death was a direct result of injuries received in a road accident. Again still vague, but I recall it was a neat trick, as the way they did it somehow managed not to overload the stats on deaths in hospitals.

HG[/quote]
Sort of like the way the US gov’t jimmies battlefield deaths…