Gym with the best weight machines?

Hi,

I’ve tried searching but to no avail. Are there any gyms that have any of the following weight machine brands?

ARX
MedX
Delphex
Nautilus

I currently go to the local sports centre gym but I’m a little skeptical of the quality of the machines. Plus they don’t have two machines I would like to use: calf raise machine and four-way neck machine. Any that contain these?

I’ve not seen gyms with these brands. But then again you won’t see me using machines.

What do these brands do that others don’t. Or free weights or body weights can’t be done?

2 Likes

The particular protocol I use (as outlined in Body by Science by Dr. Doug McGuff and John Little) recommends them. It states that machines are preferable as not only have studies shown they as effective as free weights, but they also carry less risk (no chance of getting caught underneath a barbell, and technique injuries are also less of an issue). The particular machine makes I mention purpotedly have correct cam profiles, varying the resistance according to the muscles’ strength curves.

Perhaps this is not the original question but i would say any program that requires you to have machines or specific machines to be pretty useless.

And effective at what? Perhaps in isolating in one muscle group. But anytime you’re not on you’re feet which engages every single muscle and also the position you’re almost in naturally in, it’s not going to be effective in helping you much. And anytime you limit the range of motion, mobility to the range the machine allows you, you’re also limiting your ability to do work. Also machine take away your ability to isolate and address natural imbalances. I doubt both your legs and arms are equally strong and have the equal range of motion and mobility on both sides.
Unless you’re in a wheelchair and all your movements are basically sitting down…it makes no sense to use machines which helps you balance and don’t need you to engage your legs and core.

For what it’s worth, in all my years as an athlete working out and training since I was maybe 12 in the gym. I’ve never seen anyone use machine so. And I’ve played and trained with collegiate, pro and championship athletes. I’m also a trainer and coach so I would never recommend solely using machines or require machines. One reason is because of the situation you’re in, having to have them.

And I’ve also never seen anyone caught under a barbell in 15+ years of being regularly in the gym.

Thanks for your input. However, I do really enjoy the protocol I am using (exclusively compound movements, SuperSlow cadence, measuring TUL), it is backed up by science, and I have had significant results with it (much more so than from anything I’ve done before). I have used free weights before and I don’t enjoy it as much, so it is unlikely I would be as motivated to workout using them. To each their own.

Whatever gets you to gym you should probably continue. But another problem with weight machines is that the cam mechanisms are designed for people with average body measurements. I’m slightly taller than average in the US and I seem to have long arms and legs. So the machines never have felt right to me. I imagine the problem could actually be worse in Taiwan, unless the machines are being imported as-is without any redesign for the average measurements here.

One other issue relates to the crowds in Taiwan and Asia in general. The last I was doing weights on a regular basis, I got really good at using dumbbells for just about every body part just because it was too much of a wait at the machines. And then people tend to camp out at the machines and do all three or so sets. Dumbbells are your friends in Taiwan, at least they will be at most gyms at most normal times.

Fitness factory has good machines and they are American made.

I agree with most of what Andrew said, I use free weights about 80% of the time and machines 20% of the time.

For example, I use machines for triceps, biceps, cable flys, great for legs too leg press, calf machines? I am not sure how you can cut out calf machines.

I def prefer free weights. You can’t just isolate big muscles groups. You need to strengthen supporting muscles too which a free weights lets you do. There is no way a barbell will just fall on your head. You can start very light if that is a issue.

If you are dead set on just using machines, then at least add 3 free weight exercises. Squats, bench press and deadlifts. It’ll work your whole body.

OP , I’m no weightlifter of any kind and probably don’t know the difference between a dumb bell and kettle bell, I just know you lift them.

Nonetheless, I can tell you that Taiwanese people are always willing to help. There’s loads of gyms both big and small in Taipei and maybe some of them might be able to help you find your machines.

Give Formosa Fitness a message on their FB or their website. The gym is foreigner run, so you won’t have issues conversing in English. I remember they were mostly a kettle bell gym, but maybe they can point you in the right direction.

If the above “cold calling” isn’t working, might have to venture towards the local forum, PTT and search for key words.

1 Like

I will check out Fitness Factory, thank you.

As mentioned, I am happy with my protocol and am not looking to change it. The compounds I do on the machines cover the same muscles as the 3 free-weight exercises you mentioned.

Thanks very much. I will do so.

Same issue. [quote=“Zapman, post:7, topic:166852”]
great for legs too leg press
[/quote]

Probably the worst machine for if you really want to build good strong legs as a base.

Put a weight plate down, or a couple. Stand on the edge, use one leg to balance while holding dumbbells. It should be extremely hard to use only one leg. It’ll activate much more of your body and allow you to be able to use the strength in real life motions. You should notice how hard it is to do it on one with even light weights, that’s your functional strength. Being able to lift a lot in one motion does not translate into usable strength in real life motions all the time.

1 Like

I’m having trouble visualizing this - do you know any pictures or YouTube videos that demo it?

(I lift free weights at home, and I’m looking for ways to also work out my legs.)

I will try it out!

Have you ever used a calf press machine? You stand with your toes and a bit of your foot on a ledge, the weight is bearing down on your shoulders.

The plate or plates become your ledge and the weight is then being held in your hands with dumbells not on your shoulders.

So just like a calf machine you make your feet go down and then up to work your calfs.

1 Like

https://www.google.com.tw/search?q=calf+exercise+with+plate+and+dumbells&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwiTnKiR3YbZAhXBF5QKHa6IBv8Q_AUICigB&biw=1920&bih=974#imgrc=bhP6efVF-WmZRM:

1 Like

https://www.google.com.tw/search?q=calf+exercise+with+plate+and+dumbells&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwiTnKiR3YbZAhXBF5QKHa6IBv8Q_AUICigB&biw=1920&bih=974#imgrc=6quOrw6vdU0e5M:

1 Like

Or I just do it at the stairs but your gym might not have them in Taiwan.

OK, I think I got it - thanks. (Now I have to look through the apartment to see if I have anything that would help, or if it’s the kind of thing I should buy.)

You don’t need any weights to get a good workout and extremely fit.

Leg workout in under 10 min and will kill your legs.

20 jump squats as high and explosive and from as deep as you can.
15seocond rest
20 jump lunges as fast and high as you can
15second rest
20 ski jumpers as fast as you can
15 second rest.

Bet you’ll die by the 3 cycle. Do 4 and you’ll be sore. These should never really get easier. Because yours always going 100%. So you might be able to jump higher or faster. But it will almost always be just as hard.

This is a simple one I do when I travel and don’t have time.

1 Like

You got like anything you can step on? A book? Or just go to the stairs