Gyms for introverts

My wife recently joined World Gym and is getting a lot out of it, and I’m of an age where I know I would benefit from strength training or any kind of training, really. And some people I know of a similar age (fifties) are looking annoyingly fit and healthy.

However, when I went along with my partner to a World Gym, I found it so overwhelmingly noisy and filled with flashing lights I had to leave after five minutes.

Are there any places in Taipei/NTC that offer English-language strength training and fitness classes in a less seizure-inducing and quieter environment?

6 Likes

It depends on the facility. The world gym I go to is really huge. Of course they have all of the gay lighting here too but the place is so cavernous I am not too bothered.

Where headphones and listen to your own music or talk show. I can’t stand the horrible music they play at those places. Get some good headphones.

Check out the other world gym locations.

I was at a small but well equiped gym near my studio but it got so crowded I was really bothered. Beside the crowded nature they stopped writing contracts and instead only let you pay by the minute. They are making more money now.

Probably best to ask one of your fit friends what they are doing to stay in shape.

There are tons of good advisors on YouTube and about what to do.

Get dumbbells for the house and use them. With dumbbells and bands and studying YouTube you can make a huge difference in your fitness. Walking is amazing along with biking and swimming.

1 Like

Try a different branch. Most of them are not like that. I left World Gym and went to fitness factory; I wouldn’t recommend them (I suspect both chains are owned by the same shady well-connected “businessmen”) but they’re reasonably quiet.

1 Like

Fitness Factory is less like a disco. Still has music, but no stupid lights.

Perhaps try buying equipment and going outside? For me, buying a bike and riding around outside did waaaaay more than a gym. bought a few weights for at home and did them outside.

I am with you in that the indoor stimulating environment is extremely uncomfortable. I always go outside now. at night if it’s hot.

I go to the Xindian District office’s Sport Center and usually the music is not very loud. I can listen to my podcasts without blasting out the volume. Maybe you can try your district’s gym. (The only con is that sometimes the people working out can get chatty, which bothers me because I am an introvert too :sweat_smile:)

Have you tried the outdoor gyms in the parks? No noise, no flashy lights, you get to work out outdoors in the fresh air, completely free, and you can even have a beer while exercising.

5 Likes

Have you tried doing exercise?

As a matter of fact, I’ve been doing a fair bit of cycling. On and off over the years. Now trying to get out twice a week for at least twenty or thirty kilometres at a time on a road bike. Also promising myself to go up some of the trails around Taipei.

2 Likes

I’ve tried that, but lack the motivation to do it properly. Plus, the heat.

1 Like

Realistically, the gym’s the best place to build up muscle. Some people can do it elsewhere, but they’re generally really motivated and/or have been really fit previously.

Good luck! I’m also in my 50s and forced myself to go the gym today. It was a good decision.

Go to one of the local government sports centers. No flashy lights. You get left alone. And if all else fails put headphones on.

5 Likes

I’m 51 and have been going to the city gyms and world gyms for years. Really a good idea to do what you can to get into shape right away. Think of your quality of life in the years ahead.

1 Like

Show off!

1 Like

It’s a good habit

2 Likes

Showing off?

Resistance bands and bike. I too had to walk out of a couple gyms due to the noise and lack of awareness of others.

2 Likes

Not showing off. Just showing the results of years of trying to get fit. Of course there are plenty of people with better backs than what I am showing here.

1 Like

Maybe you can try yoga classes a bunch of English speaking yoga teachers in Taipei ~ but if your main intention is strength training then a gym might be better. Yoga is great for flexibility though.

Pilates as well. Easy to work out a regimen on your own.