Habits and Pollution

These days I’ve really tried to cut down on travel.distance in Taipei. I live in Taipei county and try to do everything more local, from buying food to watching a movie. I generally close windows, wash my face and hands more and have increased my use of the MRT over my motorcycle or bus. I dont wear a pollution mask yet outside because they’re so hot but will soon consider that. I’m thinking of getting some lab googles for when I have to ride my bike. Has anyone else found the pollution has almost forced them to rely on more local amenities from shopping to entertainment ? To be honest for me this switch was for selfish reasons of personal health more than ideological reasons. Now if I can avoid going out on high pollution days I literally just stay home.

Its getting horrible. And as many dirty industries make their way back here due to government lack of thought, will become worse and worse I worry like you, but realise the only way to avoid it is either change industry or leave. Move east. Taipei already has it decent for Taiwan. I went around Taiwan these 2 weeks for work and took pictures of the sky. Go to pingdong, ktown, tainan a VERY scary sight. Wow!

Out side Dongang, way to wandan, a normally extremely polluted area. Note the trees in the back that are k guess 50% visibility are only about 400 or 500 meters away.

This is the view of Sandimen, Pingdong from freeway #3. Estimate 10km from mountains… after rains this view glows its so gorgeous!

2 Likes

I’m thinking of moving East or maybe at a higher elevation. It seems weird that I live with my windows generally shut to keep the polluted air out rather than the fresh air in! I have an air filter in the house and a decent vacuum cleaner(you might be surprised how many people don’t use vacuum cleaners here). However like you say moving out or going east might be the only real answer. it gets tiring having allergic conjunctivitis and other allergies and that’s mild compared to what might happen with long term exposure.

Typical views in central and southern Taiwan . I was shocked to learn this when living in Taichung a few years back.

1 Like