Had an accident? Going to have one? Look here first

Hi!
If somebody has car in Taiwan, I don’t think that is really poor. Count cost of using car in Taipei.
Especially that everybody seems pretty poor, but in real they have money.
She can always pays in rates like I wrote before (give her 5 months)
your injury you should count until you can really start work (3-4 months from accident, don’t forget ask your first doctor about paper), remember that rehab it takes much longer and also costs money.
I think your broken bones are more then mine so at least 240 000NT

That guy who didn’t want me pay, also said that doesn’t have money and he is unemployed. But on first visit in court, he found money.

Regards,
Hans

Thank you for that bit of info. It gives me some hope.

OK here’s the low-down, I wonder if anyone can give me some good advice/help.

I was in an accident two months ago. I was driving my bike (legally owned, no problems there) and a guy did a U-turn in front of me which made me fly. He admitted it was his fault and has insurance. The police also agreed that it was his fault and as he agreed to pay, no more questions were asked.

However I lack in certain credentials i.e. licence.

I’ve spoken to friends of friends who work in insurance who have said I’m kind of screwed if I try to get money without a licence, however on this board it does seem that the reverse is true… all the same I’d rather be 100% sure instead of having to pay all the repair bills and getting a fine slapped on me.

My bike was totalled to the extent of 50,000. I work freelance so don’t have a claimable income, it would be nice if I could get something for not being able to work but I doubt I can. Also I was unable to stand for two weeks, unable to walk for a month. I have all the doctors notes to back it up.

Any ideas of what I should do, also if you know of anyone who can give solid advice (like they’re a lawyer or police commissioner etc.) then I’d really appreciate hearing from you. If there are any more details I should let you folks know then I can post them.

Cheers,
A

[quote=“Swanky G”]OK here’s the low-down, I wonder if anyone can give me some good advice/help.

I was in an accident two months ago. I was driving my bike (legally owned, no problems there) and a guy did a U-turn in front of me which made me fly. He admitted it was his fault and has insurance. The police also agreed that it was his fault and as he agreed to pay, no more questions were asked.

However I lack in certain credentials i.e. licence.

I’ve spoken to friends of friends who work in insurance who have said I’m kind of screwed if I try to get money without a licence, however on this board it does seem that the reverse is true… all the same I’d rather be 100% sure instead of having to pay all the repair bills and getting a fine slapped on me.

My bike was totalled to the extent of 50,000. I work freelance so don’t have a claimable income, it would be nice if I could get something for not being able to work but I doubt I can. Also I was unable to stand for two weeks, unable to walk for a month. I have all the doctors notes to back it up.

Any ideas of what I should do, also if you know of anyone who can give solid advice (like they’re a lawyer or police commissioner etc.) then I’d really appreciate hearing from you. If there are any more details I should let you folks know then I can post them.

Cheers,
A[/quote]Sorry, can’t help you with the 100% sure bit. But I know that if I were in your situation, I wouldn’t be too worried.

In a worst case scenario, you wouldn’t get the compensation, and you’d have to pay the fine (around 6000NT I think). But going from what Mordeth and others have said, that’s pretty unlikely. What I think is far more likely is that you’ll get a fair chunk of compensation money, and you may or may not have to pay a fine. That seems like a worthwhile risk to me.

What on Earth? The mediator said the accident was my fault!
This just can’t be possible. The silly cow turned in front of me and somehow it’s my fault!
What kind of backwards country is this?

My woman’s family says the other party must have bribed the mediator. Her family is calling their contacts to find out what’s really going on.
We have another meeting next week.

Would the FAP or Australian Embassy be able to help me in this situation?

The mediator can say whatever he wants. The only binding document is paper which should be send to you from Police (you need pick it up yourself from some government place). It states if it is or isn’t your fault. With explanation about paragraphs. If you are sure that it is her fault, wait for that paper and later go to negotiation.
Also mediator doesn’t have any real power to judge situation. Don’t contact with Embassy just wait or call to police and ask when you will get that paper (should be about month from accident).

Swanky -> The driver which caused my accident had invalid driving licence, and I understand he payed fine for it. But accident and damage is separate thing. He still needs pay for your damages (if it is his fault), but it is separate from your fine for lack of driving licence. Of course I’m not layer but it is my understanding of my expirience

Regards,
Hans

TawainPsycho: You need to take all related paperwork and pictures to the main TRAFFIC ACCIDENT POLICE STATION which is in Taoyuan on the number 4 road. It’s the same station that cars get their yearly saftey check at…you take the paper work and pictures…pay some money…and then “experts” will determine the fault. She won’t be able to bribe them as I think the experts reside in another city and the info gets sent to them.

Swanky: Yeah, drivers license and fault are two separate issues. I learned this when I wanted to ram some teens off the road saying to my Taiwan friend that it would be fun and they couldn’t sue as they don’t have licenses. He explained that it didn’t work that way. And they had full rights of the road…and could fully sue.

Umm, one of the forumosans on here hit a 15 year old on a scooter…who was running a redlight at night with his headlights off. The forumosan was ordered in court to pay some huge figure…close to a million if I remember correctly.

From my experience I didn’t need go anywhere except once go to the Police station and describe my version of accident. A month later I got paper from Police about result of investigation. I think it is police duty to say who’s fault and you don’t need pay any money for that. Maybe if you get not positive result, you can apply again.

Hans

Just got back from the mediator with the same result.
He said, according to his opinion, the accident was 80% my fault because I hit the rear door of the car.
I said I hit the rear because I put on my brakes. I then said, if I didn’t brake I would have hit the front. He said, in that case, it would be 60% my fault.
So I said, next time I shouldn’t brake then. He said yeah. WTF This country is screwy.
We’re going to sue.

[quote=“TaiwanPsycho”]Just got back from the mediator with the same result.
He said, according to his opinion, the accident was 80% my fault because I hit the rear door of the car.
I said I hit the rear because I put on my brakes. I then said, if I didn’t brake I would have hit the front. He said, in that case, it would be 60% my fault.
So I said, next time I shouldn’t brake then. He said yeah. WTF This country is screwy.
We’re going to sue.[/quote]

Sue them for 99,000. Anything less than 100,000 and it goes to small claims court and lawyers are not needed…or allowed.

Oh and what about getting the official paper work from the police station saying fault? You collect the paper work from the police station that handled the incident…then take it to the Taoyuan main traffic branch…err…on the 4. And pay a little money and they’ll have some “experts” look it over and give you a verdict on fault.

[quote=“Mordeth”][quote=“TaiwanPsycho”]Just got back from the mediator with the same result.

Sue them for 99,000. Anything less than 100,000 and it goes to small claims court and lawyers are needed…or allowed.

Oh and what about getting the official paper work from the police station saying fault? You collect the paper work from the police station that handled the incident…then take it to the Taoyuan main traffic branch…err…on the 4. And pay a little money and they’ll have some “experts” look it over and give you a verdict on fault.[/quote]
Shouldn’t that read “lawyers are NOT needed … or allowed”?

[quote=“Mordeth”][quote=“TaiwanPsycho”]Just got back from the mediator with the same result.

Sue them for 99,000. Anything less than 100,000 and it goes to small claims court and lawyers are needed…or allowed.

Oh and what about getting the official paper work from the police station saying fault? You collect the paper work from the police station that handled the incident…then take it to the Taoyuan main traffic branch…err…on the 4. And pay a little money and they’ll have some “experts” look it over and give you a verdict on fault.[/quote]
Shouldn’t that read “lawyers are NOT needed … or allowed”?

As for the mediator, I can see where he’s coming from. He’s basing his opinion on the fact that you were not allowing a safe distance from the car in front (despite the fact that the car presumably wasn’t even in your lane!). He’s looking at it as a kind of rear-ender, which would indeed be your fault, just like in Oz or the UK.
I think the police will take a more reasonable view, though, and their opinions are the ones that count, not the mediator’s.

I’m suing for more than 100k.
The lawyer suggested we go to court without him the first time. He said usually a second court visit is not needed in this kind of situation.
Also, the court will organize an accident reconstruction report, which shows who is at fault. Apparently it’s cheaper to have the court do it, rather than applying for it yourself.

Here’s the accident scene diagram from the cops. It’s not accurate, you can tell by comparing it to photographs taken by the cops. I’m vehicle B. By looking at the diagram, who do you think is at fault?
img.photobucket.com/albums/v714/ … iagram.jpg
img.photobucket.com/albums/v714/ … CT0003.jpg
More here. smg.photobucket.com/albums/v714/taiwanpsycho/me/

OMG. I got in an accident last week; ran a green light and someone else decided to pull out in front of me from the top of a T-junction. I hit the scooter (two older people laden with about seven bags from the market) and caused a lot of damage.

The problem?

I was going too fast. Although I had bruises all over my body, my scooter impacted the other scooter’s passenger’s leg, snapping it. (She had a rod put in, and the doctors say she’ll be fine eventually).

I paid her NT$85000 hospital bill and may have to pay more; we’re going to the arbitrator/mediator people for a “hearing”. I don’t have a Taiwanese or international license, so my insurance is invalid (Note to self and others: get a freakin’ license). The other driver doesn’t have one either, but it doesn’t really matter, as my expenses were under NT$600.

The woman who was injured is an old lady, not employed and seems to be healing well enough, though she will likely need follow-up care. Does anyone have a similar experience or know about how much I’ll have to pay?

Sorry to vent like this, but normally I’m a careful driver. I sometimes speed, but have driven here for eight years without a hitch. This thing happened so suddenly and I’m not even sure what happened; suddenly there was a scooter in front of me and I was flying, and then there was this lady in pain on the road, bleeding. What the hell could I have been doing that it all happened just like that? Argh!

If it was a T junction then they were running the red? And if so…then fuck them? Taiwan Psycho just had surgery on a bone and a pin put in as well…cost him 5,000nt. How did her leg cost 85,000nt?

They didn’t actually have a red… or any traffic light. they were pulling away from a restaurant at the top bar of the T and I hit the side of their scooter. I thought I was only going 55-60, but after seeing my scooter, i think I’m in serious caca… I must have been going much faster. They were in the wrong for being there but I was in the wrong for not having seen them pull out; I’ve honestly dealt with the same situation almost daily for a long time and this is the first time I wasn’t ready…

She had emergency surgery, ambulance charges and hospital room charges for a week. She was in a lot of pain and I understand them wanting me to pick up some of it; I was speeding and if I hadn’t been, I likely would have been able to stop in time or at least minimize the accident. On the other hand, I was a bit taken aback that they expect me to pay everything. They pulled into the intersection without looking at the green light to their left or right; I wasn’t the only person coming… if they hadn’t done so, there also wouldn’t have been an accident. I’m waiting to see the video footage from the police; hopefully that clarifies things a bit. If I was fully responsible, I’ll pay accordingly. I’m just wondering how much they’re going to want… I think the worst part is not knowing.

[quote]I paid her NT$85000 hospital bill and may have to pay more; we’re going to the arbitrator/mediator people for a “hearing”. I don’t have a Taiwanese or international license, so my insurance is invalid (Note to self and others: get a freakin’ license). The other driver doesn’t have one either, but it doesn’t really matter, as my expenses were under NT$600.
[/quote]
Very wise call about the invalidity of insurance without a valid license.
Yet what do you mean your expenses were 600NT? Do you mean expenses caused by injuries covered by national health insurance?

85,000 still seems a bit steep. Was she not covered by the national health insurance?

That’s standard operating procedure in these parts. Especially if one is a paleface.

Take Mordeth with you when you go. I’ve heard he’s already adept at helping the police ‘secure’ the right piece of footage. Even if they gloss over the results. In my experience, getting footage from the cops has been stupendously frustrating.
I wish you the best of luck in a shite situation all around. Let us know how you fare.

[quote=“TheGingerMan”]

Take Mordeth with you when you go. I’ve heard he’s already adept at helping the police ‘secure’ the right piece of footage. Even if they gloss over the results. In my experience, getting footage from the cops has been stupendously frustrating.
I wish you the best of luck in a shite situation all around. Let us know how you fare.[/quote]

Nope, you’re thinking of me talking about acquiring TaiwanPsycho’s video footage. In the end we failed at that. The police told us “The video is only for finding plate numbers. Since she didn’t run…you already have hers.”

The video would have shown her failing to check on TP and shown her looking as if she were preparing to flee. And he never got the video.

Also the cops said that the camera pointing directly at my accident scene was broken.

$85k!?! Fuck off!
I had surgery, got a pin put in, stayed in hospital for 5 days. Cost just over $5000. FIVE THOUSAND

At the mediation meeting, the mediator will tell you that the national health insurance will cover the injured party up to $200,000. TWO HUNDRED THOUSAND
You don’t need to pay for the old bags medical fees.
They’re totally bullshitting you.
You’re probably going to get as screwed as I was at the meeting. (50/50) But since you paid $85k already, it’s like you’re admitting guilt.
Sure you might have been going fast. But did you leave any skid marks? Is there any camera footage? Did the cops say you must have been speeding?

You paid $85k already. You didn’t need to. You don’t need to pay any more than that. You should ask for the money back, since you didn’t know the national health insurance would cover them up to $200k.

[quote=“Mordeth”][quote=“TheGingerMan”]

I wish you the best of luck in a shite situation all around. Let us know how you fare.[/quote]

Nope, you’re thinking of me talking about acquiring TaiwanPsycho’s video footage. In the end we failed at that. The police told us “The video is only for finding plate numbers. Since she didn’t run…you already have hers.”

The video would have shown her failing to check on TP and shown her looking as if she were preparing to flee. And he never got the video.[/quote]

That’s fucked up.