Haiti is Fired Up!

Idk know why it’s fired up, but when Kenya said it wanted to go in and calm things down, I looked up over my granny glasses. :nerd_face:

U.S. government officials have grown alarmed that the Haiti National Police could begin to crumble within hours — and that a long-planned multinational mission led by Kenya to provide reinforcements may not be enough to save the country from a complete descent into gang control.

Outgunned Haitian police have been battling a united front of gangs and losing key firefights. Now, a potential power void and a collapse of the Haitian government that had already faced a skeptical public risks undermining whatever morale is left among the police forces.

“The government could fall at any time,” a U.S. official told McClatchy, speaking on the condition of anonymity to candidly discuss the government assessment. “If the HNP dissolves as an effective counterforce, if we see the airport or the presidential palace fall, it’s over.”

So what does Biden want?

Biden administration officials and Caribbean leaders have been pushing for Prime Minister Ariel Henry, who recently finalized an agreement for the MSS, to cede power to a transitional government and resign.

Uh huh.

And how that going?

It remains unclear whether Henry will accept the proposal to resign. He had been working on a plan of his own, which involves staying on as prime minister, but enlarging the High Transition Council with a presidential panel to participate more in the decision-making.

Damn. If only there were a n easy way to remove him from power.

For now, he remains in Puerto Rico, while commercial flights into his country remain suspended.

Uhm, hello? :wave:

Though Caribbean leaders last week called for Henry to step aside, they ultimately offered him a compromise in Guyana last week. They took note of his commitment to hold elections no later than August 2025, and said they would work with international partners, including the U.N., to do so. They also called for a consensus among Haitians.

That was last Wednesday. On Thursday, as Henry was arriving in Kenya to sign a deal for the MSS, gangs launched their attack.

CARICOM reverted to its old plan within a week — a move seen as a betrayal by those close to Henry. This time, the United States was on board

Still, a lot to read up on. But, damn man. Guy isn’t even in Haiti. Step down or put him on a plane. :airplane:

Feels like quite a lot of spin in that article. Maybe this is Haiti’s revolution, not just a “gang war” as written.

Would they have considered George Washington and the Continental Army a gang as well? Probably, from the British perspective.

I know nothing about the background of Haiti but just because the US and UN isn’t happy with the situation doesn’t necessarily mean it’s not progress. It takes a lot for people to decide to arm up.

2 Likes

Yeah I have no idea. :man_shrugging:

It’s been unstable for most of my adult life.

2 Likes

They need a papa to sort things out.

2 Likes

I’d personally vote for anyone called Barbecue.

Seriously though, “gang leaders” could also apply to the chief of police, or the prime minister, for example, it’s just implied that establishment is automatically “good” because it’s already there. Maybe?

2 Likes

Yeah, I wouldn’t just go taking it for granted because say the BBC said it. But it looks pretty ugly. On the other hand I’m sure it’s not exactly a battle between good and evil.

1 Like

It’s probably the poster child of the civilized west fucking up a place in the Americas over and over and over, then blaming the locals.

2 Likes

Yep standard tactics all in the name of “freedom and democracy”.

What’s that on the horizon off the shores of Florida…boatloads of refugees with gangbangers mixed in.