Half of Taiwan's cram school teachers may lose their jobs | Taiwan News |

I am surprised by that. Isn’t Taiwan like a world leader in.many IT areas, chips etc? Practically everything can be done online here.

1 Like

Chips and manufacturing, Yes.
IT area? Still long way to go

what? you think cram schools are actually for learning?!?!?!? They’re just babysitting services. Now someone in the family has to actually spend time at home with Junior, or shove a glowing rectangle in his face.

7 Likes

One look at the trashy websites UI and IT backend like PCHome, Ruten, Shopee, Momoshop, etc - and you understand Taiwan is in the 19th century when it comes to IT.

See any government website, tool or app - terrible quality.

2 Likes

They could go teach in Bolivia while singing Che songs. Unemployment in Taiwan could bring up opps in emerging countries.

(1493) Nathalie Cardone - Hasta siempre (Official Video HD) - YouTube

Speaking of Che, I have a funny story. I have a Che shirt (it says Happy Dead Che Day and has a skeleton of Che). Pissed off the Chinese food delivery driver the other day who said he wished Che was still alive and looked horrified that I was wearing such a shirt). Great food place and I spend about 300£ a month ordering from there but am now worried they could add some additional seasoning ha ha.

Something has to happen for cash transactions to be made.

Summer vacation is coming, though, isn’t it? So the new semester doesn’t start until September, by which time Taiwan should be back to some semblance of normality, what with vaccinations and declining Covid cases.

1 Like

Cram schools are mainly a babysitting service /childcare for busy parents , let’s face it.
Without that, they aren’t worth the money.
You just need a tutor to teach online not a cram school.
Their best bet is to hunker down and wait for the storm to blow over. For many of them their best bet is also to shut down as they will be running at a loss already and the population of kids is dropping all the time anyway.

6 Likes

So… if you were planning on opening one, you just got lucky. Wait three months and a big chunk of your competition has gone.

5 Likes

Yup, like anything buy low sell high. However population decline is an issue. The big boys will live on the others will die. Now teaching old folks how to dance may have more money in it :sleeping_bed:

3 Likes

Part of the problem is the salaries offered in Taiwan for it positions. Most taiwanese who study in IT fields just go abroad since the opportunities for higher salaries are so much better.

Keep an eye on your local area and see what happens. These media 30 percent numbers pulled out of the air should be taken with a lot of salt.

There could well be opportunities to buy failing cram schools, though.

yup

1 Like

Um…or people realize cram schools are day cares and eventually the cost:benefit ratio plummets based on varying factors.

Lets just be honest. We all knew this would happen sooner or later. And a 30% cut isnt as bad as it could be expected longer term. That isnt to say education, and learning foreign languages arent important. They absolutely are!!! But the racket that has been cram schools in taiwan for half a century is fraught with very serious issues and cutting the fat is a well known inevitability…most people make bank in this industry and invest elsewhere :wink: I honestly can’t disagree with that logic.

1 Like

Wow, yes! Exactly… the only exception are those that are actually exceptionally good. Which are few and far between. Those that are that good, probably arent that worried :slight_smile:

2 Likes

If there’s anything positive to be said about this story, at the very least it raises awareness about the situation.

I said this elsewhere, but in the early days of the pandemic governments in other countries were very reluctant to get the cheque book out until a particular industry made enough noise.

Hopefully this will start a discussion. Whatever your misgivings about cram schools, that’s a lot of livelihoods at stake! To sit back and watch it burn is not a good look for any government.

5 Likes

Sell them juice from chicken brains and you can make 100x…Why not make a new American Chicken Brain Juice brand and sell it in Costco …I gave you folks that one for free.

1 Like

In a culture of standardized testing? We can only hope.

2 Likes

I read about how the vaccination went today in Kaoshuing. Long long lines, people waiting for hours and hours. Really miserable.

These schools won’t open for months. How can they go lower than level 3 when the whole thing started with a single person infecting another? These will be some really shitty months ahead.

A friend who teaches art classes after school has finally announced they will offer classes online. The cheapest class is $500/60-80 minutes if there are 2 or 3 students other wise it’s $600 for 90 minutes one on one. Really miserable. I looked at youtube for art class videos and there are a ton. Very very sad times. The business wasn’t making money before covid so I can’t see how in the world any of this is going to work.

I just don’t see the schools opening again until sometime during Q1 2022. Report below says 536 school age kids have caught the covid (news report yesterday 14th). there are 4.2 million students in Taiwan according to the Ministry of Education. How are all these kids going to be protected?

This one talks about the teachers without pay

536 school age kids have gotten the covid

They can dig one of the most impressive tunnels in the world (in Ilan) and have a wonderful metro system. Now, Taiwan needs to get its Sh.t together and vaccinate on mass. The UK opened mass vaccination centers, South Korea did , so why can’t Taiwan get this sorted😡

1 Like