Half of Taiwan's cram school teachers may lose their jobs | Taiwan News |

There’s also the 2 year work experience requirement in ‘relevant field’. Even though it’s a ‘requirement’ it’s not always required, however, it makes it significantly easier from what I remember.

Those that hold a Master’s degree or PhD are exempt from this 2 year work experience ‘requirement’, but most foreigners that come to study in Taiwan are only doing Undergrad.

There are about 60k foreign degree students, so about 10k maybe graduate every year, but only 3.5k slots of special work permits for graduates from Taiwan univ.

1 Like

Are you sure about that ?

Now being made availabkle more widely.

EDIT - seems this article I posted is rubbish as they omit to mention it is for APRC foreigners only which would account for the 12,000 number referred to.

Got to make the foreigners know their place first though…Eh
Details in article.

Peace of Mind Immediate Work Plan

The Peace of Mind Immediate Work Plan offers part-time jobs for unemployed people. Previously, only foreigners married to Taiwanese citizens could participate in this program, but starting on Thursday, foreigners with an Alien Resident Certificate (ARC) or work permit will also be eligible.

Look there is no way around this, if the system is to improve , schools that have abandoned teachers must be NAMED. If what is said is true name the school , show the evidence with personal manes erased but not the school’s name erased. SHOW US WHICH SCHOOL… So, when this is over we will all know whose bellies slide across the ground like worms in slime and which ones can hold their heads in pride. HELP THE GOOD SCHOOLS, REMEMBER THEM AND DAMN THE WORMS, NAME THEM😡 NAME THEM.

2 Likes

Taiwan has very tough slander and libel laws so…how does one do that ? It’s very very easy to file a lawsuit in Taiwan and a huge pajn in the ass to go to court and hire a lawyer.

Tails…

https://tails.boum.org/

3 Likes

Do not name the person, name the school. in a very dry manner write out the points that happened. Such as “No pay was given during the pandemic.” do not write"the selfish assholes did not even pay me" or can write “My hours stated in the contract 6 teaching hours per day but on X days I was given 9” etc

Or have a simple star rating like google. Where only verified members can vote.

2 Likes

Yeah. I find that sticking to direct fact-stating makes it difficult to sue for libel, especially if you can point to direct and specific evidence that the events occurred. “I was not paid for all my hours worked at x cram school” when you can show your clock in times (or schedule or line message from the boss showing hours worked), etc does not give them ground to stand on if they choose to go lawsuit. But make sure you have the evidence. Even if “everyone knows” it happened, you will get (threatened to be) sued for libel if you don’t have evidence to back up that it happened.

I’ve had organizations threaten me via their lawyers because of facts that I stated, threatening me with criminal lawsuits for my fact-dissemination. As soon as I sent them my evidence, they disappeared. No replies but no further pursuits. Not sure the same would have happened if I didn’t have evidence in hand before I started telling others what happened.

8 Likes

Their behaviour is similar to cockroaches when a light is turned on. Good advice.

5 Likes

LMFAO at above comment on cockroaches.
Yes, make sure you record evidence, take pictures on your phone and screen shot it is the very least. Actual documents is best. Keep messages and back them up in cloud. Use emails to the official school/work email. Always have a copy of your contract. Never hand over passports and use the CLA, that is what they are here for.
Screenshot_20210708-084423_LINE

Someone else can put up Taipei City. That is for New Taipei City CLA

Sounds like a terrible situation. Hope it turned out well for you in the end.

foreigners with an APRC and work permit.

there is no CLA anymore. it is Labor Affair Department now, as your attached information says.

1 Like

So Taiwan News got it wrong . Sorry for sharing.

I was thinking the 12,000 foreigners are eligible didn’t make much sense !

Foreigners with ARC hardly gets any benefits here and even if they get some little, they are always at the end of the line.

2 Likes

You get the benefit to pay your taxes and insurance premiums.

3 Likes

Can the government be sued for petty discrimination by invoking this act?

https://law.moj.gov.tw/ENG/LawClass/LawAll.aspx?pcode=D0080166

“ Anyone residing in Taiwan Area, if discriminated against based on nationality, ethnicity, skin color, class, or birthplace, may petition the competent authorities for the resultant infringement of his/her rights, unless otherwise stipulated in other laws.”

If one law contradicts the other, the court should step in and decide what’s the higher law.

3 Likes

An interpretation I’ve gotten in the past was essentially that the “unless otherwise stipulated in other laws” counts for a lot.

2 Likes

I once told my boss to show me his lawyer’s name and license when he tried to add illegal clauses to the company rule and claimed that he has the legal advisor’s full support. I told him I’ll call the labor bureau right now and see if that’s legal. And if it’s not, I’ll help the company report the incompetent lawyer.

He just wouldn’t tell me which lawyer agreed on this hahaha. I had to end this nonsense with “if my lawyer agree, I agree.”

But anyway, even if I signed it it’s not a valid contract. It’s just that I’d have to sue them to get back the money when I quit if I had complied. And I’d need to collect evidence for that. Too much work. Might as well just nip it in the bud.

Yeah it turned out dandy. They left me alone and I got my message out, for all the good it did…
It’s REALLY hard to sue someone who has said truthful things as a warning to others, when they have evidence that it’s the truth, when emotions and any opinions are left out. I’m sure some lawyers can still successfully do it, but your run-of-the-mill cram school does not that have that level of money. Actually, the organization I “attacked” sent a business law lawyer after me. 100% stunt trying to scare me. I just lost interest in messing with them further, otherwise I’d keep it up :joy:

3 Likes