Half of Taiwan's cram school teachers may lose their jobs | Taiwan News |

Went to school today and had my kids sat, or far away from me for the whole class. Everything was a mess. No notices of complicity posted. No social distancing. Teachers running their classes like they did before the lock down. No guidance from management. My boss saw how uncomfortable I was and offered to drop my in person classes and I accepted. Even though I’ll lose money, I’m not going into a place that isn’t following the guidelines, or setting up protocols that will keep everyone safe because of the reasons you listed. The problem with Taiwan is that there’s an utter disregard for rules because they only count when someone doesn’t have the guanxi to get away with breaking them when they get caught. I’m not putting myself, and my students at risk, just because it’s more convenient to ignore the guidelines, and I don’t think any of us should.

3 Likes

But the kids are still going to be at school so you are not saving them. If you were there, you could at least influence how they follow guidelines.

I don’t (and can’t) give them grades or homework. I am not allowed to punish them in any way. I teach 1~12 grade, once a week each class, 43 hours a week. There can be 25 kids in a class. Some will just turn off their sound or take off their headphones, no need to mute. I do make really fun interesting lessons, but there are always a few in the big classes that just sleep or play games instead of participating. Often it’s the students who do best in person. I only have the problem in one small class. It’s mostly the 20-25 student classes that have the issue. I’ve even called their parents and had them go in the kid’s room and get them back on, but as soon as the parents leave, they are off again.

2 Likes

The problem is that I can’t. I tried today and my managers didn’t care. You know how stuff goes here: problems are best ignored until they either explode, or magically disappear.

3 Likes

Then focus on the ones listening and ignore the others.

1 Like

Unfortunately this is the easiest. Not all students listen to the teachers even in the classroom. “Online” might not be the reason of it.

But I don’t really think this is that common. If your class is interesting enough, kids would be more than happy to join you. I can’t even get my baby sister and brother to stop watching 東森幼幼 and dance with them when they were younger. And there’s Bill Nye, if you’re looking for something more academic. Different media requires different method.

I noticed a few of my very bright students are the most disengaged during online class. My hypothesis is that they are alt-tabbing and surfing the internet with the lesson unmuted so they can give the impression they are paying attention. I was the same way growing up, and I would have been doing the same thing if I had online classes at their age.

In the classroom there is nothing else to point that mind towards but the content. It’s hard to compete when the internet is way more dopamine-laden. Requesting parental supervision, consistent interaction/questions, a quick class pace and novel methods/activities/games has been my strategy.

2 Likes

Either I misunderstood something or you’re Superteacherman.

2 Likes

I just read your reply. If they put that much restrictions on you, are you sure they (laobans and parents) care? If you’re not allowed to give them homework, then what makes you different from the 大哥哥大姐姐 that’s hired to play with the kids?

It doesn’t seem to me like an online issue at all. More like a management issue.

8 hours on weekdays and 3 on Saturday…

It’s the only way to cover all the investment plans and annuities my wife sets up.

It’s worth it though, as I don’t mind the work. I enjoy teaching.

I get paid well and have zero work outside of preparation, so I won’t complain.

Even though it’s only a few kids it really bothers me because I’m a perfectionist.

2 Likes

lol, what a complete mess.
its clear to me the parents didn’t educate some of the kids AT ALL about covid protocols and how to behave with their mask and social distancing.

Agree with everything Jay said…

It’s like a plastic bag being held together by a small safety pin. I can foresee mayhem if a case happens to pop up. lol.

It won’t be the parent’s, school’s or child’s problem.

Teachers are vaccinated and kids probably won’t even have suspicious symptoms. It will only be a problem if they take it home to the vulnerable and unvaccinated, who already had their chance to get vaccinated.

Unless said member is in their thirties……

1 dose isn’t exactly vaccinated.

even 2 doses now are waning.

1 Like

Well, it’s a spectrum. I’ve had one dose of AZ and I’m sure I could still get COVID. But I’m also sure it’d be (a) harder to get than if I had no shots, and (b) even if I do get it I won’t get seriously ill.

I think it’s unlikely I’d get seriously ill or die even if I got it unvaccinated, but now it’s much more unlikely. And that’s a good thing as I generally like being alive.

7 Likes

yea of course, but still, don’t let it lure you into a false sense of security.

The nature of the beast already did that for many.

I wonder if your average Taiwanese still hasn’t got a clue how this virus works or if they still think vaccines will solve all the issues that are to come.