Half of Taiwan's cram school teachers may lose their jobs | Taiwan News |

Four kids can only be profitable if the teacher and boss are one in the same.

i personally think those anzibans make way more money than you think. I have heard of a few where the baseline pay is like 600 an hour, but the truth is they could probably be paying closer to 800 heck per hour. A few schools pay their teachers a base pay of 600 an hour and gives them a 10,000-15,000 a month bonus if they manage to retain 90% of their students. works out to like 800+ per hour.

It’s easy to start one. Easy money.

Is it easy? Are you being sarcastic?

Is there anyone, who has a school, willing to share real numbers?

How many students?

Outgoings on rent? Staff? Materials? Tax?

How to get licensed etc

I thought about trying to open a school years ago, but my kids were too small and my wife had lost her passion for teaching.

This last month has shown me that my job is not stable enough. Now, she is eager and we are financially more stable. Obviously I’m talking about when things open up.

Is there anyone who would be willing to share some info/basic numbers? Either publicly or privately?

2 Likes

according to a census, 5 years ago, on average there were 6.4 (4.9) employees per school, and each employee got about 425k (403k) per year. labor cost were 51% (47%) of total expenses, 48% (41%) of total production, 74% (61%) of gross production. profit rate of a school was 11.1% (13.6%). numbers in () are excluding pre-school educations. profit rate were 15.1% 15 years ago, and 14.7% 10 years ago.

If I understood and translated correctly.

1 Like

Where are you and what are you looking to do? Kind of just your own one-classroom setup or something else?

Thank you. Are they real numbers though? I mean I work at a school. I know for a fact that what they report and the reality differ a lot.

For example, 80 kids registered, but 100 on the books. So the school is taking in 25percent more in tuition than they are declaring.

That is one way they cheat. There are more.

That is why I’d love to speak to an actual owner.

1 Like

I’m in Taipei. I know the easiest way would be to open one classroom, if there are only four kids/eight if the wife is there, I don’t even need a license, right?

However, my aim would be two to three classrooms capable of holding 10 to 15 kids.

My wife and I would be the main teachers at the start. She and I are both capable of teaching three two hour classes in a row. We both did that for years.

My wife wants to stick just to English. No anchin class. If we did offer anchin, we would hire someone.

As far as funding goes. I would be willing to invest up to a million NT on rent/ equipment etc but after that, I would hope to be profitable.

My wife actually has an uncle who owns a school in Taichung. My wife doesn’t like him so we can’t get advice from him. He advised me previously that cram schools are easy but kindergartens are a pain in the arse so stick with cram schools.

Is that right? I think 4 means 4, doesn’t it? Why 8?

You could probably do it for a million or a little more if you keep it simple. it would be better to hear from someone who’s done it recently though. Finding the right place that is the right size and will meet licensing requirements is the challenge.

I believe it, they’re bad enough with random regulations. They are always going nuts with minibuses for example, which I guess you need for a kindergarten. Naturally this is important and nothing you would want to do unsafely, but they have a very weird way of enforcing almost anything. You’ll see. In my opinion the annual 5k membership fee for the Taipei Buxiban Association is well worth it for navigating those hurdles and all kinds of general advice and problem solving.

1 Like

Well that same uncle told me it is four per person and if you do your individual classes in the same room, how can you stop the kids from listening to the other teacher? Wink wink.

Anyway, long term I’d need more kids anyway so above board is best.

Where would I see cram schools listed for sale?

I know of a second floor apartment that was a cram school/kindy previously. It is above a shop. In the building, every first floor is a shop, and every second floor is a business of one kind or another. There are other cram schools there too. Math, music, art.

It is a three bedroom place with big rooms. It is my wife’s friend’s dad’s place. We stored some things there once, but I don’t know if it is classified as a home or a business He has left it empty for years. Too rich.

Does that mean you opened a school previously?

I think over 4 means it’s a school, period. I’d have to look again

Yes.

Not sure. Facebook?

That should indicate it is a licensable location, yes.

3 Likes

Do anchinbans have the same regulatory restrictions as buxibans?

That’s good information, and not a lot of profit.

Parents are WAY more involved, 1st year or 2 of elementary school also, but after that most get other hobbies.

591.com.tw has live businesses for sale as well as business husks (dead businesses with some stuff still there) and empty rental units with the previous “format”.
I rode by my first ever school the other day. It went under and was turned into a cleaners or something, but that’s gone and it appears to be becoming an adult language center now. Someone had left a window open and I peeked inside. The room was still modeled like a buxiban room, bright colors, low wide window to the hallway. It’s expensive to create a model like that, so a lot of schools just pick up where another one left off.

2 Likes

they are different. anchinban is regulated more strictly, by “Measures for the establishment and management of after-school care service classes and centers for children”

Regulations for buxiban is “Guidelines for the establishment and management of short-term tuition classes”

The names of regulations are provided by Google translate, because they don’t have English versions.

@BigDave @SunWuKong

This is my understanding also. The thinking seems to be that students can just drop in for a class at a buxiban, but at an anchin they need to be cared for (watered and fed) for longer periods.

In practical terms (as far as applying for licenses/finding a location goes) this means that, among other things, an anchin is required to have some sort of kitchen/cooking facilities. (Strictly speaking.)

No doubt there are ways around all of these regulations… God only knows how many “anchinbans” are actually operating under a buxiban license!

In conclusion, anchinban = red tape.

Or some chabuduo mentality will kick in like normal and we’ll have the same result with or without Covid.

Do you have a link to the Q&A?

Seriously?! I got my American Red Cross babysitting license when I was 11 (the minimum age at the time) and started supervising other people’s children and sometimes new born babies right away. When I was 11, I don’t think it was ever for more than an hour or so, but I certainly had a steady stream of multiple-hour babysitting gigs by the time I was 12.

The only thing a law like that does is impress upon children how irresponsible they are expected to be and thus makes them more irresponsible/incapable of being adults. My parents rule was 10 y/o to stay home alone, probably only because they were worried CPS would come after them if they let us do so any younger. My mom took the L (City of Chicago) alone starting in Kindergarten for god’s sake.

You must have left the US a long time ago

:joy:. Well that’s interesting…I practically paid for college with all my “neglectful supervision” of yung’uns. The parents called me, so it’s their fault anyway.

Red Cross still says age 11 and older, though I only see it in their blurb about the training and no age listed on the details page: https://www.redcross.org/take-a-class/babysitting-child-care

Edit: they are talking about 24 hours or more in that bill. I did stay over at a few houses later in high school (17 or 18 y/o) when the kids’ parents went to weddings and operas far away, but even then I was never responsible for anyone for more than maybe 16 hours, my own parents two doors down and fully capable of coming to the rescue if something did go south. More typically would be both parents working (make sure the kids do their homework and get dinner going, 3:30-5pm), Parents want to run errands without ankle biters, noon - 4 p.m., or parents go out for dinner and drinks or to a show. 6-11 pm or maybe getting into 2 or 3 a.m. if they’re wild. Hardly the 24 hours with a 14 year old = child abandonment the Illinois government is claiming.