Hallelujah- Who has the definitive version?

I’m a Cohen fan. He introduced me to this song probably back in the early 80s or when ever he wrote it. So, I’m sold on his version. I know it’s personal taste but he tends to put a little vinegar into it where as all the competition add sugar.

Here’s a link to John Cale’s version:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xSgWAvXf_XQ&mode=related&search=

Of course all the rest are there Buckley, Cohen, Wainwright, Sheryl Crowe…

Reading the moronic comments on Utube gives you a sense that the Idiocracy has already arrived; such as, “Who’s this dick head?” for John Cale.

His version is my second favourite. I like Wainwright’s too and Buckley’s a lot if and only if he doesn’t over do it.

JohnCaleJohnCaleJohnCaleJohnCale.

Rufus! And I don’t mind kdlang either…I don’t know John Cale’s version…sorry

You can listen to the link above. There are plenty there, but I didn’t see K.D. Lang’s.

It was Rufus, then slid back to Cohen. Haven’t heard Cale.

If you’re a fan of Cohen, how about Nick Cave? Kind of hit and miss, but “The Boatman’s Call” is a wonderful cd, and “Into My Arms” and “People Ain’t No Good” rank up there with the best of Cohen.

The definitive version? Definitely this guy:

Who’s that guy?

O.K. It’s probably Handel. He looks like he had a sheep crash land on his head.

[quote]It was Rufus, then slid back to Cohen. Haven’t heard Cale.

If you’re a fan of Cohen, how about Nick Cave? Kind of hit and miss, but “The Boatman’s Call” is a wonderful cd, and “Into My Arms” and “People Ain’t No Good” rank up there with the best of Cohen.[/quote]

I’ve been a Nick Cave fan for years since his very early days. He hasn’t lost a thing. I’ve got two songs off Abattoir Blues/Lyre of Orpheus called Breathless and Nature Boy playing in my car now. He’s definitely one of the greatest ever. He doesn’t require a sheep to look chic, either. He does have his own Hellalujah, but it’s quite something else.