🇯🇵 ✈ Haneda Airport | Layover at Haneda Airport

Just finished a layover in Haneda Airport, the first one since Covid. During this four hour layover, we were stopped at various points, four times in total, by security (all Filipinos) to check our boarding pass and passports. Pre-Covid, I would transit through either Haneda or Narita multiple times a year and never once experienced this type of random security check, is something going on in Japan???

By the way, one of the random stops was immediately after the airline counter checked our passport and issued new boarding pass. As soon as we turned around from getting our boarding pass we were stopped immediately and asked to show the boarding pass and ID. We never left the terminal. Not a big deal, was simply a bit strange being stopped randomly.

5 Likes

The security was Filipinos, or you mean you guys? :thinking:

1 Like

I think what you mean is you transited (from one international to another international flight) at that airport, right?

When I did so in January, they were obsessed (after I deplaned and before I went through the transit process / security) with separating transiting passengers from arrivals. Fair enough as there were, at that time, COVID entry restrictions to Japan. But those entry restrictions were hastily thrown into the trash just before Golden Week this spring. So what are they up to now?

In January, amenities other than the sale of luxury goods were sorely lacking on the departures level after going through the transit process / security. I presume more shops are up and running by now?

Guy

All women with spectacular English. It’s a shame TW must hide their migrant workers. Even though the checks were annoying, their personalities made it much more tolerable.

Ha learned something new today! I’ve always called them a layover, but now I know.

Shops were packed this time, especially the restaurants, but the luxury stores were empty. The Ramen shop had a line at least 30 deep for the entire duration.

1 Like

Point of comparison: I transited in Narita last week, also for about four hours. For me, there was a security check soon after getting off the plane, right after transits went one way and arrivals went another - had to discard liquids and go through scanners (and I guess this checkpoint is why they’d told me in Taoyuan Airport that I shouldn’t buy duty-free liquor in Taoyuan?). No random stops or anything after that, apart from ID check when boarding later.

Mildly surprised by how many of the airport staff didn’t seem to be Japanese.

Like you, I saw busy (and not very promising) restaurants. This was midday.