Happy Birthday Little Adolph

So let’s all go out and name our kids in honour of the whole gamut of dictators, fascists and racist icons. Let’s have a hate pantheon.

ACD, there are several reasons why it’s a bad idea… but the main one is that it perpetuates the idea in some eyes that these are people to ook up to, that they have something good to give the world, when in fact the world would probably be better off if their names were to disappear rather than be maintained, even promoted as somehow normal.

how about licensing prospective parents? You could sterilise them all at school, and de-sterilise them once they have proven themselves to be capable of having kids, and of fitting in with some kind of normal society ideas. But that’s a very slippery slope, and once embarked on, you end up with an ever-higher set of standards and abuse of the system by the entrenched elites (a little like the abuse of the one-child system in China). And it would only work if all countries and peoples adopted the scheme together, or the falling birth rate would mean that those who rejected the system would swiftly out-breed those that did adopt it (although the high birth rate may well be balanced by high infant mortality, as today in Africa).

far better to let them all breed like fukkin’ little rabbits, and then issue them with guns and knives, and let them fight it out. which, of course, is the current method of choice.

I disagree. The main reason it’s a bad idea, in my opinion, is you’re taking a cute, innocent little kid and sticking a big ugly sign on his face saying “kick me, I’m a stupid son of a bitch.” As others said earlier, it’s child abuse. I don’t give a damn about abstract names floating around in the ether. I care about the poor unsuspecting kid who will suffer greatly for his parents’ stupidity.

NO, MT, that’s the second worst reason, not the main one. that kid has a whole bunch of other reasons to fear his parents and their odious outlook, his name will just make him appear only slightly more stupid than being related to them already will make him appear. besides, you can always change your name. and then there’s that Johnny Cash song, about a boy named Sue.

I’ve never seen atheists so rabid that they try to ban the name ‘John’. Or “Jesus”. Activist atheists want religion out of government and schools. They want to get rid of Sunday liquor laws. Anyway, it’s not relevant to this thread. If you want to continue that discussion, please start a thread in Religion. :wink:

But they’ve changed the name, and try to keep it hush hush. It’s understandable, given the monstrosities associated with the name. But it’s quite the opposite of this story about white trash naming their kid “Aryan Nation” and another “Adolf Hitler”.

Sometimes we consider certain actions inappropriate, out of respect for the scores of millions of people who died in one of the world’s greatest ever calamities, largely the result of one particularly evil SOB. Of COURSE it’s taboo to do things to glorify an SOB like that, including naming kids after him. You fail to comprehend that?

Individualistic and free societies can still reasonably have norms and limits on behavior.

Paul Potts, the British tenor, was in Taiwan a couple of months ago. He was born in 1970, and Saloth Sar didn’t come to power until the mid 70s, so I guess it was all just a co-ing-kee-dink.

When he gets another brother they should call him Himmler.
Then he can shout, whenever he gets beaten up by someone:

“Himmler! Verhaften!” (Himmler! Arrest him!)

… at least that would be a little bit funny

And if he has his first soap box racing car (or bicycle), he can paint it black and put the Reichsstandarte on it.
That eagle swastika flag thingy.

:aiyo: damned… this herbal essence my wife gave me is not baaaaad (sniff) :doh:

They could have changed their name back to Schiklegruber …

I don’t fail to comprehend that, it is just like I mentioned, people with the name Hilter due to family relations are also forced to act to conform to this taboo in society. Meaning I doubt anyone with the Hilter surname is going to christain their child with the first name “Aldof” anytime soon. Or as gingerman mention they have to change their surnames…which historically speak many German immigrants did in the US during the WWI and WWII (personally I think that is wrong to force people to diminish their heritage, even though they might have nothing to do with the war).

I’m not saying one should glorify Hilter, I’m just saying, there are other effects of making a taboo out of the words, which empower the words and in this case the name.

One should be thinking of ways to disfuse the word and name, thus any attempt of racist to glorify the name would be moot.

Adolph, Adolphe, Adolfo are now no longer common names in their respective countries in Europe. Which I think is kind of silly.

[quote=“Jack Burton”]I feel just as sorry for the sisters:

Uhm… Hinler? Either that one is a failed attempt at giving the child the name of Himmler, or it is just a equally strange name as Honszlynn…

[quote=“bob_honest”]When he gets another brother they should call him Himmler.
Then he can shout, whenever he gets beaten up by someone:

“Himmler! Verhaften!” (Himmler! Arrest him!)

… at least that would be a little bit funny

And if he has his first soap box racing car (or bicycle), he can paint it black and put the Reichsstandarte on it.
That eagle swastika flag thingy.

:aiyo: damned… this herbal essence my wife gave me is not baaaaad (sniff) :doh:[/quote]

Clearly not bad at all. Can you spare some? :laughing:

HG

Joseph is still popular despite Stalin…

Anyway, any remaining relatives of Hitler have long ago changed their surnames. I heard a story of a couple of distant Hitler relatives who vowed not to have children, so that the family line would come to an end.

msnbc.msn.com/id/28655143/

they lost custody of their nazi named kids

In another life, when I was younger and more impressionable, I studied theology for two years and took a course from this man: Adolf Ens.

He was born in the 1940s.

In school, my invisible friend was called Adolf Pankraz. Mind, Adolf is the real spelling of Mr. H.

Not sure if this is related though… :eh:

Harpo Marx was born Adolph Marx. He changed it to “Arthur” in 1911. Nothing to do with Hitler, he just didn’t like the name.

They should have called him Big Fluffy Adolph Hitler. That would have been all right.

NOT REALLY. You shouldnt besmirch AH so much. He was hugely sucessful at what he did, although he failed in the end, which is a good thing.

I think we all know that naming this kid – not the above one, but the subject of this thread – Adolph Hitler was surely just the tip of the iceberg. It’s hard to imagine that they provided a loving, caring home for the kid.

[quote=“Dr. McCoy”]They should have called him Big Fluffy Adolph Hitler. That would have been all right.[/quote]What does the H stand for in Dr. Leonard H. McCoy ? You keep that quiet. I don’t think it’s “Harold” :ponder:

[quote=“tommy525”]http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/28655143/

they lost custody of their nazi named kids[/quote]
Parents get their children taken away because of their political beliefs. Wow! The government is acting like a bunch of … um… some kind of authoritarian state.