Happy Fourth of July!

But in Kiwiland this wouldn’t apply. Neil Finn is a god back home.

Don’t Dream It’s Over is specifically the song that caused this problem because it became so ubiquitous (No. 2 in the US, No. 1 in Canada). Finn himself talks of getting into an elevator in LA and hearing that song playing as Muzak.

1 Like

Re: Coen Brothers quite a bit of the movie Fargo (most of the scenes from Jerry Lundegaard’s office) was shot at the Jim Lupient Oldsmobile dealer about a mile from the house I grew up in.

The Coen Brothers, Thomas Friedman (12th man/backup caliber garbage time political analyst), Rockets Center Jim Petersen (Olajuwon’s backup for a minute) all came from the same school I grew up attending.

This is really embarrassing, but I always thought Joe Jackson was British.

1 Like

They are (were?) a great band. Outstanding songwriting.

I think it’s a distance thing. Once you put enough distance between you and your home country, you’re no longer surrounded by people who can drive you nuts. Things from home come into sharper focus when you’re physically away.

For example, I was never a big fan of country music until the first time I lived outside the US. Pretty much lost interest once I moved back. I bet your friend would lose interest in Brexit if he ever moved back.

1 Like

Superlike? It’s a blue star.

1 Like

The level of FREEDOM got so intense today that the Earth shook this morning in these here parts.

Don’t know what it says about me but the first thing I did when I realized it wasn’t just “a quick one” was get off my chair to save my scotch and bourbon bottles ¯\ _ (ツ)_/¯ .

016979B0-BDC7-445E-8FF3-0BDBC9736882

I have no idea what you’re talking about.

But give me 24 hours and I’ll revisit since I’m too cheap to pay for this and already used mine up on the Bear’s Ted Nugent joke.

Sorry, it was a bad joke about Tinder and its superlike icon. You can like a person or SUPERlike a person.

1 Like

They should have made the “superlike” icon an erect penis.

I’m not an expat.

Here’s how it’s done:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QNydcwDriuU

Here’s how it’s NOT done:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V5cOvyDpWfM

Happy 4th to us Yanks.

2 Likes

I wasn’t replying exclusively to you. I was raising a general question in a related thread.

Marvin was frikking awesome!

1 Like

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3mLsU46h8IA

2 Likes

I don’t think many people realize how good things are in their country until they live somewhere else.

1 Like

We’re on the same page.

True.
I wonder which one made you realize this: US, TW or KR?

Was reading a news article about one group in Washington that chose to celebrate the 5th by burning the American flag, chanting “America was never great” and “burn baby burn”. I actually laughed out loud and checked if I was on the Onion, unfortunately not.

That definitely doesn’t apply to every nationality. You don’t see many overseas Taiwanese celebrating 10th of October, for one. The patriotic ones (such as the Americans) are the anomalies.