Happy Hour Possibilities

[quote=“Yellow Cartman”][quote=“Bu Lai En”]
So I think perhaps it would be good to keep the monthly ‘Happy Hour’ (which has connotations of drinking) in a bar/restaunt type venue, but mix up the locations a bit. Different bars, Maybe restaurants. I thought going out to Bitan and eating/drinking there would be good. How about drinking at a seafood restaurant with seats out on the street in summer. That’s fun. Or a beer house? I don’t think we need to go to a foreigner bar with western food every time. [/quote]

We could crash that pao cha tea place next to the Bitan suspension bridge :smiley:.[/quote]
You’ve been to Rosemary’s Kitchen, YC haven’t you? Is it any good? (asks the guy who lives 2 minute’s walk from there).

[quote=“sandman”][quote=“Yellow Cartman”]
We could crash that pao cha tea place next to the Bitan suspension bridge :smiley:.[/quote]
You’ve been to Rosemary’s Kitchen, YC haven’t you? Is it any good? (asks the guy who lives 2 minute’s walk from there).[/quote]

Yeah, I did. I liked it there for the ambiance (nice views on the 3rd floor and not loud) plus the decency of the food. You get a lot of food there and the set dinners range from $500-700 (get soup & salad & entree & dessert). I was quite stuffed from my lamb shank. The house red was also decent and drinkable. Wait staff was competent and responsive but very busy. They never gave us attitude when we had to flag them down for something. This was in February during CNY weekend. It’s good enough for me and the missus to go again.

[quote=“Yellow Cartman”][quote=“sandman”][quote=“Yellow Cartman”]
You’ve been to Rosemary’s Kitchen, YC haven’t you? Is it any good? (asks the guy who lives 2 minute’s walk from there).[/quote]

Yeah, I did. I liked it there for the ambiance (nice views on the 3rd floor and not loud) plus the decency of the food. You get a lot of food there and the set dinners range from $500-700 (get soup & salad & entree & dessert). I was quite stuffed from my lamb shank. The house red was also decent and drinkable. Wait staff was competent and responsive but very busy. They never gave us attitude when we had to flag them down for something. This was in February during CNY weekend. It’s good enough for me and the missus to go again.[/quote]
I’ll have to pay them a visit then. I’ve often thought it would be a cool venue for the Muddy Basin Ramblers to play at and it always looks really inviting when I pass by.

Following five pages of discussion on Happy Hour Possibilities it seems that an impasse has been reached. :wall:
I take it that the current 2005 Happy Hour schedule isn’t going to change, even after the excellent suggestions that have been proffered in this thread? :idunno:

[quote=“Roach”]Following five pages of discussion on Happy Hour Possibilities it seems that an impasse has been reached. :wall:
I take it that the current 2005 Happy Hour schedule isn’t going to change, even after the excellent suggestions that have been proffered in this thread? :idunno:[/quote]
That would be an an incorrect assumption. The schedule you see now is the default. I know for a fact that the next Happy Hour will be at Alleycat’s new digs, but we’re waiting for the grand opening until we mention where… I’d like to do another Happy Hour at the Tavern, JBs looks like a good spot, and I’m sure there are other suitable places out there. I’d like to hold our Happy Hours with Forumosan-friendly businesses, if possible. They support us, so we should support them. It’s not a prerequisite however.

[quote=“Maoman”][quote=“Roach”]Following five pages of discussion on Happy Hour Possibilities it seems that an impasse has been reached. :wall:
I take it that the current 2005 Happy Hour schedule isn’t going to change, even after the excellent suggestions that have been proffered in this thread? :idunno:[/quote]
That would be an aincorrect assumption. The schelue you see now is the default. I know for a fact that the next Happy Hour will be at Alleycat’s new digs, but we’re waiting for the grand opening until we mention where… I’d like to do another Happy Hour at the Tavern, JBs looks like a good spot, and I’m sure there are other suitable places out there. I’d like to hold our Happy Hours with Forumosan-friendly businesses, if possible. They support us, so we should support them. It’s not a prerequisite however.[/quote]

You get a head start on the next one there Maodrunk?

Excellent news :slight_smile: . Its always good to vary one’s drinking routine and AC’s new place, the Tavern and JBs will do nicely. :thumbsup:

As far as the default schedule is concerned is there any point in having it at all? All HHs on this list are on Wednesdays or Thursdays, which is one of the issues discussed here. Forumosans don’t just want the location to be flexible but also the day. Suggestions have been made for establishments that may not be Forumosa-friendly but could easily cater for our presence on either Friday or Saturday nights. Bear in mind that such places may become more Forumosa-friendly as a result of hosting a HH.

Excellent news :slight_smile: . Its always good to vary one’s drinking routine and AC’s new place, the Tavern and JBs will do nicely. :thumbsup:

As far as the default schedule is concerned is there any point in having it at all? All HHs on this list are on Wednesdays or Thursdays, which is one of the issues discussed here. Forumosans don’t just want the location to be flexible but also the day. Suggestions have been made for establishments that may not be Forumosa-friendly but could easily cater for our presence on either Friday or Saturday nights. Bear in mind that such places may become more Forumosa-friendly as a result of hosting a HH.[/quote]
Actually, the opposite appears to be true. Most places aren’t interested in hosting a Happy Hour on the weekend, because those are the busy nights - they want to turn over tables as much as possible.

Actually, the opposite appears to be true. Most places aren’t interested in hosting a Happy Hour on the weekend, because those are the busy nights - they want to turn over tables as much as possible.[/quote]
This I understand and have made this point in some of my previous posts but as I stated above there are places, that were once a little more popular than they are today, that may not have this problem. Some of them are mentioned here, but it might require further investigation to be sure though… :beer: Anyway, I was only suggesting that we don’t dismiss other venues that could suit other groups of Forumosans.

Nobody’s had a good thing to say about [url=http://tw.forumosa.com/t/saints-sinners/1998/1 & Sinners[/url]. And I doubt that the [url=http://tw.forumosa.com/t/the-combat-zone/1794/1 Zone[/url] is the right place for a Happy Hour. Pathetic Hour, possibly. :stuck_out_tongue: Maybe we can do a Happy Hour for banned Forumosans there… :laughing: I haven’t been in Malibu or My Other Place for years, but they never struck me as Forumosa Happy Hour material.

I think I’d like to give Bongo’s a try, if Andrew the boss will have us…

I think Bongo’s would be a great venue. Lots of wideopen space inside and out for smokers or non.

Neither do I :smiley:

Point taken but Malibu West is just outside the Combat Zone, its large enough, good food and service. Same goes for Malibu East. I think that you would be surprised at just how many Forumosans I’ve met there… I can understand the snobbery though… :snooty: :slight_smile:

:bravo: :bravo: :bravo:

Where? :s

[quote=“Bu Lai En”]Then in addition to ‘Happy Hour’ we could try and publicise other events more. Maybe have a monthly weekend, family and non-smoker firendly official event. Moderators could take it in turns organising. Picnics have been mentioned and are a good idea. A few of us had a great picnic out at Youth Park the other day. Trips to the beach in Summer? A day at Liufu Amusement Park?

Brian[/quote]

Forumosan Day at Liufu Park?! Too cool. Maybe we could take over Kenting for a weekend or a Saturday afternoon at Baishawan.

Went to the Brass Monkey yesterday. I searched BRASS MONKEY and HAPPY HOUR and it does not appear to have been considered for some reason.

This is my opinion.

Excellent: Tables are plentiful. Don’t know how busy it gets at night though.

Good: A/C system seems to be designed to whisk the smoke upward and away. Had smoke filled clothes and hair but it was not unpleasant to sit there and no blue haze.

Good: Selection of beers.

Not good: It took between 60 and 90 minutes to get 3 meals. I think this could be close to the all time record. Fries were good, rest was okay.

Good recovery. They brought us out 2 pizza to fill the time and took 20% off the bill. The staff were reasonably friendly so showed some training away from the surly local system.

I noticed in the search that food should not be considered a priority at the Brass Monkey. I did not see many people eating. I now understand why. So, you could do a HH perhaps but eat elsewhere. Fries to go with your beer would be a good option though.

Quote below from 2 years ago. Things do not appear much better now. If I was management I’d run a very small menu of 4 or 5 items only and do it really well keeping fresh food on hand and cop the waste to rebuild the reputation with excellence in quality and fast service. That would be the only way to recover imo.

[quote]Balls Ups at The Brass Monkey Continue If the largely inept staff in this poor excuse for a bar cannot even take simple orders such as this, it reflects very badly on everyone working here from top to bottom. The bottom line, dear readers, is DO NOT EAT HERE.
[/quote]

I’ve been the Brass Monkey a lot, and I have never had any issues with the food. I did think your meals took way too long to come out yesterday Ironman, but they did recover ok which is more than many other places would do.

The Aussie pies took a really long time. I’m not really sure why. As Ironman said, they recovered well with the free pizzas. I thought that was a decent thing for them to do. I, too, have never experienced problems with their food service before. They also lightened the bill signifigantly (-20% and waived the 10% service charge) to further compensate. I guess since I was busy watching trinations rugby and eating the free pizza, the late food wasn’t an issue.

I think the place would warrant a look for a future HH, if for no other reason than they have an excellent pool table (important for some people) and a foozball table.

Bump!

Picnic or BBQ, anyone? It’s approaching the best time of year for it.

Can we please consider an outdoor venue? Like a beach BBQ or something along those lines. I’m with Lorretta here.

i wanna gig. we need to put something together to kill all these birds with one shot. do something for mark, have a good time, play some music. so i’m thinking about this hard and doing some prep for it.

let’s do a mark fundraiser. do it at carnegies but not on a friday night. on one of the slower nights. have Red 42, sandman’s band, and me. i open with a 5 song set. sandy’s boys do a 5er, then red takes the rest of the night. if not carnegies, maybe capone’s. they have a nice stage i hear.

i need somebody to go with me. i’ll organize the thing. i just need somebody to fill in the gaps when i get tongue tied. maoman will MC.

We only do Saturday nights ran. Good luck trying to get 6 of us out on a work night for a measly 5-song set. Who are Red 42?