Happy Moon Festival 2022, will you have a BBQ?

Hope your enjoying your moon cakes (any photos?) and have a nice BBQ at home or in some cases at work.

2 Likes

At my kid’s sport club on Friday and at home on Saturday.
Family bought huge new electric grill for the event. :beers:

3 Likes

No!

1 Like

Friday with relatives of girlfriend. First time family gathering, eh :sleepy:

3 Likes

Sounds great, and nice beer too?

Have fun, and hope everyone likes everyone else

2 Likes

They got a crate of Heineken from Costco.

1 Like

BBQ on the moon festival is a fake tradition which makes no sense, and since I am old enough to remember when it wasn’t a thing, I will not partake in it.

6 Likes

Lots of traditions are relatively new. Things change. How can anyone argue against an excuse to stuff your face with meat?

The depiction of Santa Claus we all know is relatively new.

3 Likes

In Taipei BBQ is now forbidden in riverside and public parks because COVID.

Yeah, but not when the new tradition goes against the spirit of the moon that we are supposedly cerebrating. How does collectively polluting the air by spreading deadly particles into the air and degrading air quality help us appreciate the full moon?

1 Like

It’s not exactly a coal power plant…

Going to eat Korean BBQ :slight_smile:

1 Like

Now that you mention it, I think I’ll go to one of my favorite smokeless Japanese barbecue.

I’m not going to buy a cheap little barbecue and set up on the sidewalk although I would join others if they want to do that. Just to be social

I think it’s worse. I’d be happy to correct my preconception though.

I give away every moon cake I receive as a gift for someone else. I think that’s how pay it forward works.

7 Likes

BBQ Day is here. Costco is full of shoppers. Loads and loads of meat, veggies are overpriced, beer selling by case.

1 Like

Probably not, but the people on my street have had barbecues during past Moon Festivals, and those occasions have somehow created good vibes, at least for me.

2 Likes

A lot of (all?) Taiwanese on gift them too. I think typically a clueless newbie foreigner is at the end of the chain, and ends up eating the recycled one year old mooncakes. So the whole tradition is just a joke on foreigners really.

4 Likes

I hope no one gives or even keep a moon cake for a year. Most decent ones do not last that long. CHECK DATES before you eat it.