Happy New Year to All Taiwanese People Overseas!

Happy new Year in 2012 and All the Best for Taiwanese Young Guns!

Having a PhD will really help you get a better posting but the fact that your parents signed that document promising you would return makes this situation unpredictable.

I know I say this in all my replies but you should really consider asking the OCAC in Taiwan for info. While they might not be able to handle your specific case at least they can get you started.

Also you might want to consider talking to your local Army center. Good luck!

i have no idea how your 契結書 will affect this, but since you have an overseas diploma you may be eligible for 替代役 where there should be some positions which require translators (location and institution will vary), the selection process takes place at the training camp (成功嶺) unless you’ve applied for a 專業 beforehand (i.e. teaching English) - there will be a certain number of places for each role and they will look at your qualifications if theres too many people wanting to go to the same place - think theres 2 rounds of selection and if you fail in both of them then all the people who dont have a place yet pick from open spots remaining in all the stations. you seem qualified enough so should get through fine especially if selecting courses with English.

After this, there is the 專業 training which can vary from a couple of days to a few weeks - there is an exam at the end of this, and coupled with your exam results at 成功嶺 the highest scorer gets to pick where they want to be stationed out of the pre-selected locations, so if you’re lucky, there may be some places close to your family.

i hear if you work in cities (i.e. Taipei) you live in the military 宿舍 whereas other places may provide you with accommodation (live where you work… sort of). And if you’re at one of the offshore islands (Penghu, Kinmen etc) you could get 積假 which is accumulated holidays where you can work on weekends etc and save up holidays to go home for a longer time.

Would be best to ask about the types of positions available for your entry date, though they (the Conscription Agency) probably dont know until you’re in training anyways…