Happy Summer Solstice!

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Solstice

June 21st, the longest day of the year.
A mid-summers dawn patrol.
No wonder I’m all skirmish, we’re losing our laight…

Best be off, long way to go, aind a short time to get there.

Far, out in Central East Asia, in the sweltering mid-summer of 2007, relief arrives incrementally in that the daze are getting shorter from here on in.
Shazzam!
:braveheart: :lick: :grandpa:

Here in New Zealand it’s Matariki http://www.insanitywetrust.com/news.htm
and it’s bloody cold.

Happy solstice.

June 22nd Taiwan time. :grandpa:

Happy freakin’ solstice.

I was talking with someone in Scandanavia yesterday and he told me Summer Solstice is the 2d biggest holiday of the year for them and many people – not just students, but business people – start their summer vacation then, which lasts all the way through July and perhaps into early August. Lucky bastards.

Today is Summer Solstice in Taiwan, we have “Lights Out Day” events in different cities in Taiwan. :slight_smile:

The purpose of this event is to tell people the importance of energy saving.
Several places will be out of lights during 7:30 to 9:00 tonight and some concerts and outdoor acitivities will be available during the time. Everyone can turn off lights and go out to enjoy the summer night.

The map, acitivities and events of The Lights Out Day is available here:The Lights Out Day

1 Like

Happy Summer Solstice everyone! Today is day with the most amount of daylight for the year. It’s all downhill from here as the days begin to get shorter and the weather starts to get cooler! LOL

I worked on the property clearing all the grass and weeds. How did you spend the solstice?

June Solstice (Summer Solstice) is on Monday, 21 June 2021, 11:32 in Taipei. In terms of daylight, this day is 3 hours, 7 minutes longer than on December Solstice. In most locations north of Equator, the longest day of the year is around this date.

5 Likes

an auspicious day to sign a new contract for 1 full year of gainful employment in Taiwan!

1 Like

Well it will not cool down for a few more months, but nice to have a long day in the North.

1 Like

Ahem :partying_face:

4 Likes

:musical_note: happy bear-day to you…

3 Likes

Years ago a bunch of us went to the Tropic of Cancer monument in Fengbin township, Hualien, for the summer solstice sunrise-the sun comes out of the sea and goes straight up the slot in the monument (though it’s probably close enough anywhere in Taiwan). Involved drinking all night waiting for the sunrise

3 Likes

Happy Summer Solstice everyone!

If you are reading this, you have made it this far—a cause for some celebration amidst all the grimness of 2022.

It is also, we have learned, the birthday of a venerable forumosan. So allow me also to wish you all a Happy Day of @the_bear !

Guy

4 Likes

My solstice sunrise.

3 Likes

It’s all bearish now, congrats!

Here we are, one year later, at the end of a hot-as-hell summer solstice day. If you’re reading this, congratulations! You made it through alive—for me, it seems, barely. :hotashellintaipei:

Guy

4 Likes