Hardcore Foreign Run Buxibans

[quote=“nemesis”]
I don’t think that swervetech was saying not to play games. In general, teachers at HFRBs do more preparation for lessons and spend less time “filling” the lessons with games that serve no purpose.[/quote]

Prove this. Sorry, but games do not merely “fill” time in a language class. And, also consider, games are not the only way “fill time” in a class. One could argue that grammar drills are a kind of filler.

They would have in the schools I’ve experienced.

Higher expecatations of what exactly? And in comparison to where exactly? Provide evidence.

It was absolutely mandatory at EZ and the off-shoots of it.

Actually, yes they were.

As for your second point, yes I am aware of what Chinese knowedge can bring to the table (being more than competent in the language myself). However, there is a limit to the benefit that this tendency to want to “correct errors” can bring to the student.

Yes, but you also build up a dependency. In real language situations, translation isn’t available. It may be quicker, but it robs the student of the ability to figure things out for themselves an learn new words by using the language ability they already possess. Translation is lazy and something that is over-emphasized already here.

A good part of your interaction should be your explanations.

An irrelevent point. You said so yourself. Some buxibans give useful homework, others don’t. You are going to have to prove that the HFRB schools give better homework. And, again, you are going to state clearly just what schools these HFRB schools outperform.

Do they?

Precisely because their English exposure time is so limited, the foreign teacher should not be wasting it needlessly speaking Chinese. And, yes, my Chinese ability is more than sufficient for dealing with parents (not class time btw).

I don’t agree. The HFRB schools I have seen have been soul destroying places that seem to serve no useful purposes. Compare the results? You have data to share? Please do.

I think if these places were really so successful, they’d be the dominant choice, rather than one that is dying out. I’ve observed closely the students in these places over a period of years. My ex worked in one for several years and a friend runs one as well. Additionally, used to work in the junior highs in my area, teaching the “elite” classes, classes that students from around the county have to score above a certain level in English in order to attend. I asked what buxibans these students attended and I receied a variety of school names in response. Strangely, none were of the hfrbs in my area.