Hartshorn

Where can I get hartshorn or how can I replace it? I think it’s called E503

I heard you can replace it with baking soda, but I don’t think it will taste the same.

ochef.com/539.htm
Hjorthorns salt in swedish, I know the stuff, smells really strong, used for almond kubbs and some stuff.
No idea it even was sold outside of Scandinavia

ammonium carbonate. can replace with sodium carbonate E500 or potassium carbonate E502. not sure if or where you can get it here.

[quote=“TheLostSwede”]What is hartshorn? - Top-Best.com
Hjorthorns salt in swedish, I know the stuff, smells really strong, used for almond kubbs and some stuff.
No idea it even was sold outside of Scandinavia[/quote]

I think it was used in some chinese food befour the white man brought sodium carbonate and few others then scandinavia still use it. I neaded it for some pankakes known as svele. A norwegian vest coast specialety.

I know I can replace it with E500, but I also know it wont taste the same. Potassium I don’t know.
I actualy was able to get it. Lots off translation ishues and lots off help from my girl and I got 1kg bag off it specaly ordered in the bakery supply store. Ordered for me only and 1kg was the smalest amount posible. 1 use only 1/2 ts at the time so I will probartly have for a decade even if I chose to make it once a week.

[quote=“Stian”][quote=“TheLostSwede”]What is hartshorn? - Top-Best.com
No idea it even was sold outside of Scandinavia[/quote]

I think it was used in some chinese food befour the white man brought sodium carbonate and few others then scandinavia still use it. I neaded it for some pankakes known as svele. A norwegian vest coast specialety.

I know I can replace it with E500, but I also know it wont taste the same. Potassium I don’t know.
I actualy was able to get it. Lots off translation ishues and lots off help from my girl and I got 1kg bag off it specaly ordered in the bakery supply store. Ordered for me only and 1kg was the smalest amount posible. 1 use only 1/2 ts at the time so I will probartly have for a decade even if I chose to make it once a week.[/quote]Maybe we could all help by eating lots of your pancakes.

You can get it under the name baker’s ammonia from various baking supply stores online in small containers, e.g., sugarcraft.com/catalog/misc/food.htm,
kitchenkrafts.com/product.as … 1176718815 and
bakersammonia.com/

Hey, I’d be happy to buy some of you mate, PM me please if you’re anywhere in Taipei.
I’ve actually found that it’s used in quite a few recipies, just never had a hard time getting hold of it before :slight_smile:

Sorry, none of me is for sale, but I believe part of Big Fluffy Matthew is. :stuck_out_tongue:

[quote=“TheLostSwede”]Hey, I’d be happy to buy some of you mate, PM me please if you’re anywhere in Taipei.
I’ve actually found that it’s used in quite a few recipies, just never had a hard time getting hold of it before :slight_smile:[/quote]

I’m in Sanchong. Right across the river from Taipei main station.
How mutch would you like?

Check your PM