Has anybody here ever heard of this "WMAF" thing on the Internet?

Yep but especially racially obsessive subreddits like r/hapas and r/aznidentity

I don’t even know what this means. Reconcile from what?

Being Asian is such a small and imo irrelevant part of my identity as a man. Asia is huge continent. I no more similar to the average Japanese man than a average Russian guy. Even within nationalities, that’s all it is. My nationality.

3 Likes

I hear certain Asian men shaming Asian women for dating whites and certain Asian women contributing to negative Asian male stereotypes in the Asian American media sometimes. Of course, I’m not saying the majority of Asian men and women are like that.

:sweat_smile:

Oh, I’ve been down that rabbit hole numerous times.:confounded: Asian women are the highest demographic for interracial dating. Sometimes the fact that you see more Asian women with white guys than Asian guys in the media gets a little overwhelming for me but it makes it worse how there’s this vocal minority of Asian guys who are like that if anyone dares give out even the slightest criticism towards them, then they’re “challenging their masculinity” and “silencing them into oppression”. Although it seems a lot of Asian men don’t care about Asian women dating interracially as long as they aren’t talking about them in a disdainful manner.

Maybe Far Right wing is the better word? I hear they are hardcore conservatives. So not surprisingly, men from the far right tend to have a penchant for Asian women since they view them as docile, conservative housewives which is their view of the “ideal woman”. My dad is kind of a conservative but he certainly isn’t far right. I always found people with extreme leftist views annoying even though I’m pretty politically ignorant and indifferent.

How is that relevant to me? Who am I reconciling with?

How about everyone just live their life the way they want and leave others to do the same? I have no feeling for asian women who talk shit about asian men, that’s their own issue. I have no desire for them to change their tune or reconcile. They are irrelevant to me.

5 Likes

I didn’t mean all Asian men. I meant some. I’m sure most of them probably don’t care about that and have better stuff to worry about. I’m only referring to the ones that do care. It’s just that I hear a lot of them complaining about it on the Internet and they just won’t shut up.

Even if race is just a small part of someone’s identity, it’s part of their identity regardless. I’m not saying that race is all someone is though. Not everyone of a certain race is gonna have problems regarding their race.

Sounds like a terrible place to post if you ask me.

I will run this “WMAF scummy kid” thing by my son. But he thinks I’m crazy for giving a crap about what people say on the internet so I can predict his response somewhat.

But, here’s my dad advice: Don’t go there. It’s not your job to convince people of your worth. You’re a kid. Go be a kid. And read…like…a LOT. Start with Jaron Lanier.

jd

2 Likes

What do mean run this “WMAF scummy kid” thing by your son?

What you mentioned in your first post. You send something about people on reddit saying dumb stuff about mixed kids. I doubt my son would much care about what they said…was my point.

They said kids with white dads and Asian moms are gonna grow up to be dysfunctional or hate their Asian side. Something like that. Ever heard of Eurasian Tiger? He creates blogs based on stuff like that. He’s a huge basket case

Are they mixed as well? Sounds like they’re are just saying mean things to troll mixed kids. I don’t know what they would base their assumptions on. Did they give any reasons WHY they think Wasian kids would end up hating their “Asian side?”

Noop.

Yes. The combination of both was generally not often seen. These days though, I am seeing it more often.

Yes they are. They say it’s because their mom married their dad to “seek out whiteness.” and that they view Asians as inferior. Some of these people however actually did have parents like that but instead of trying to get help, they try to wallow in their own self pity and make their hatred towards white men and Asian women as widespread as possible. They seem to have zero interest in finding pride in their ethnicity and more interest in acting like being a hapa son of WMAF is the worst thing imaginable.

There’s a lot to unpack there. Let me just ask you this.

Do YOU feel that you have anything in common with these folks?

Most people who complain all the time online don’t really want help. They are stuck in a toxic loop. It doesn’t matter what they are talking about…it’s all bad.

I’ll tell you what I tell my students who are high school age: It’s not your job to make people feel better about themselves. Right now, as this stage in your life, understanding what you want, what your goals and responsibilities are…these things are more important in the long run. So, if you want to try and help, do it. If you want to ignore them, do it. Just remember if you are on a website that makes you feel like a bad person, because it makes you post like a nutter or you start becoming a troll…leave the site. It’s not for you. That’s advice from jaron Lanier. I have taken it to heart…for the most part. :cowboy_hat_face:

Take it easy. You said your dad used to post here way back when?

Who was he?

2 Likes

So he is dysfunctional ?

If a white man dates a white woman it’s white supremacy.
If a white man dates a non white woman it’s racist.
Welcome to 2020.

Don’t worry about the nonsense that people write online.

Time to drop Reddit, it’s trash for the most part.

2 Likes

I think this perception stems from the idea that because some have had the experience of having to “choose” one identity over another that there’s a tendency to disavow the Asian side for acceptance(=peace of mind to exist in a space) .

1 Like