Has anybody here taken a year out later in life? Was it easy to find work afterwards?

I posted recently that I was considering studying Chinese for a year in Taiwan just because I need to take a year out to recharge and do something different with my life, but I’m not entirely sold on the idea. I’m in my late 30s and have a bit of savings that I know I should use on investments and downpaying my mortgage, but I feel like I badly need to take a year out. But I keep worrying that I’d waste my money and that I’ll become unemployable afterwards. Quora is full of people saying not to worry because you can explain the gap in the CV in an interview and make it look good, but the reality is that some idiot in HR goes through hundreds of CVs a day and the first thing they do is look for “red flags” (of which a one-year gap is a big one) to bin the majority and lessen their load, so I’m worried I wouldn’t even be able to get a chance to make it look good in an interview.

Has anybody here taken a year out later in life? What did you do? Was it easy to get back into work afterwards?

1 Like

I feel like 1 year isn’t a big gap. If it was a few years I can see it. But 1 year doesn’t seem like a red flag to me.

These HR people are terrible. I don’t really blame them because they get hundreds of CVs for each job and need to lessen their loads somehow, but I know for a fact that many of them use whatever little excuses they can to bin most of the applications that come through.

1 Like

You’re not taking a “year out”. You’re doing something.

10 Likes

Is learning Chinese at all a useful skill in your areas of work?

Not at all. It would only be useful for living long term in Taiwan, but I’m not sure I want to do that anymore.

1 Like

I took six months off last year. I said in the interview that I felt like I had done everything I wanted to at my previous role and fancied a bit of a break before starting my next assignment. Nobody I interviewed had a problem with that. During the six months off, I didn’t really do anything remarkable, Learning Chinese for a year would be a more impressive statement. I think most interviewers would probably be envious of your position.

Fuck what other people think anyway.

2 Likes

You also floated the idea of a masters degree IIRC?

Yeah, the problem with that is that I’d have to wait until next September (I can’t do it this September due to other commitments) and I’m not sure I can wait that long to take a year out at this point!

Some schools will let you do a January start, especially for a course based masters

I’ve been out of a job for almost a year and just landed a job that’s a significant step up. Nobody even asked what I was doing.

7 Likes

You need to learn job seeking doublespeak. This is an example of housing doublespeak

It’s not a gap year. It’s time to build skills.

7 Likes

Why are you using quora? That website is terrible.

2 Likes

Took a year off for travelling in South America and Asia /early 40’s/. Never had any problems with finding work a year later. In fact, they were pretty interesting in my travelling experience and asked a lot of questions.

1 Like

There’s a bunch of obviously paid propaganda by the CCP on that site.

2 Likes

Agree… It’s all about how you frame it. I did something similar and when I was ready to go back to work, I added it to my resume under education… basically described myself as someone who is a strong proponent of life-long learning so I decided to have a full-immersion experience in both language and culture. It definitively seemed like an advantage when I was interviewing and I ended up with a better position and better pay than I had previously.

I’m sure you can find all sorts of reason to explain the resume gap… like self employment, started a business, worked in the family business, etc.

Just make it sound convincing, and avoid the obvious ones (like went to prison or whatever). I’m sure their HR will imagine all kinds of nasty reasons for the gap year but it’s not like there’s anything you can do about that.

I have, if you count accumulated time off between jobs.

I’ve worked in over 7 countries in the public and private sectors, and have had big achievements in some, pissed off a lot of people in others.

To answer your question–always easy to find work if you have in-demand skills, good education, etc. Having worked in trade, STEM science, etc., always relatively easy to fall back on my feet.

2 Likes

Taking a year off is pretty common it seems these days especially if you can tag it with something like social media influencer vibe.

Undisclosed terminal illness aside, I’d hope you’ve got a few years in you yet!

I say go for it!