Has anyone registered for CITES in Taiwan for export permits?

I guess this could go into legal, work, living etc. But it’s about species trade, so probably nature has more relatable readers.

Anyway, given Taiwan is recognized as a country, and not listed in CITES, has any registered for export here?

Importing is easy as pie. But we want to register our company to be able to export various plants and animals. Curious if anyone has any experience :slight_smile:

1 Like

Fairly disappointing response from CITES. Still interested in a back and forth, either publicly here or privately, on the ins and outs.

So far, CITES has called us China :frowning:

What are you trying to import or export?

You really want to consult with the Taiwan customs on this. CITES rule is enforced by the countries you export from, and country you import to.

There’s a Taobao seller that I bought wood from, and while he claims to be able to furnish CITES paperwork if necessary, I was never asked this importing wood that’s clearly CITES regulated. Either because Taiwan and China isn’t really international, or nobody really cares about CITES.

If you are exporting, then ask the customs what you need. Also check with CITES if wood species you’re looking to export is even listed. I doubt Taiwan acacia (acacia confusa) is listed though. It’s listed as LC according to ICUN (but I’m not sure if CITES are based on this).

Ya, none of the above. But thanks though. For referrence, you can check the cites appendices on their website to see what species are listed under :slight_smile: basically pretty much need to be concerned with App. 1 & 2. For us, at least for now, just 2 as it’s easier.

We are wanting to export plants and animals, not wood. As mentioned above, they seem to think we are China. I will email China and see what they say…:frowning: Once I get a reply from my follow up question to the above reply I posted.

CITES is a NGO. They do not make regulations. They list species in their appendix and countries regulate them based on that. So really you need to know the laws in Taiwan and the country it’s going to, and work within that. If Taiwan says Appendix 2 needs such and such permit, you get those permit from Taiwan customs as well as customs of country it’s going to.

US is a bit more dicey because they got some really strange regulations, and requires you to follow all laws related to their export and such. The problem is that if the originating country doesn’t care to enforce their own rules, the US FWS will still prosecute you for it. This is what got Gibsons in trouble. I suggest not importing to the US to make things simpler. In simple terms, if you export some animal that’s CITES listed to the US, and Taiwan customs don’t care even if their laws says some steps must be followed. Once it makes it to the US the authorities can prosecute you just on that basis. It means a felony conviction and permanent ban from the US, as well as spending time with the US Marshalls and Bureau of Prisons.

Talking to CITES is not going to get you anywhere.

1 Like

Probably a good point. Will also look into customs next week and ask. Though the fact remains CITES permits are indeed required by the importing countries for the stuff we wish to export. They are pretty standard globally in most countries.

Good call on asking customs though. That will be next step. Same with BAPHIQ. Between the 2 they should have some contacts that aren’t Chinese :slight_smile:

Yea, definitely do. Just make sure if exporting to the US that everything is done according to Taiwan law by the book, even if customs here can’t be arsed to follow them!

Interested as well! Getting prepped for the move back and kids want to take their tortoises that we adopted. They do have their CITES paperwork, but not sure where to get started. We’ve already asked our freight forwarders that we use for import, but they were clueless.

https://www.trade.gov.tw/english/ProcessList/ProcessList.aspx?nodeID=4651&pid=16

There is the gov website for applying for CITES paperwork?

Looks like it has an online application system and phone numbers to contact.

Is your Google not working or am I missing something :laughing:

1 Like

Regardless of CITES regulation, I’d never take tortoise shells regardless. They’re kinda like ivory, banned because of huge amount of exploitation.

Just so you know China’s application of CITES is a bit wanting… considering they take in a lot of poached ivory and rhino horns.

Adjacent question - my wife wants to bring a dog from Taiwan to America - would this be applicable? :thinking:

1 Like

If your dog has the appearance of an endangered wild jackal / wolf who knows… :smile:

1 Like

It won’t be, dogs are not endangered.

Shipping is easy. Take them with you, like a cat or dog on the airline.

Need to make sure your paperwork is up to snuff. Check you import country’s laws. Then hit up BAHPIQ. Cites obviously in order, they have other types of certificates for moving etc but I think this excludes live animals.

When I find someone to talk to about obtaining certificates here i will post and let you know. We also will be exporting reptiles, but not turtles or tortoises.

Just get shots and paperwork. Dogs are easy. And cheap. Coming back is different (rabies related)

1 Like

Don’t forget to email the UN and China! :smile:

1 Like

Right? Pretty amazing how dumb their [cites] replies have been.

Thanks for the link. I havent found anything of the sort, nor has anyone suggested it. I will contact them Monday. Probably send the CITES shills an email with the link so they can update their contacts page to include Taiwan :sweat_smile:

2 Likes

Yes no need to worry about the implications of AI taking over customer service roles for governmental type employees in general, given that its a near universal ‘computer says no’ default already.

Thanks! Luckily they are still fairly small so they shouldn’t be a problem. Much easier than the dogs, snakes, arachnids and children I suppose!

Easier than children, harder than lizards haha. Logistically easy, paperwork might depend. Turtles tend to be an extra protected group in some countries/from certain countries for various reasons. Conservation, medicine, food, decoration etc. For sure want to look into more than just quarantine and cites issues for them :slight_smile: