Has anyone taken the driving test for cars lately?

Not to be too argumentative, but believe it is correct to say it is much harder to get a license here than it is in the US. In the US (after passing the written test) for my car license, the tester got in the car with me, we drove around a few city blocks, I did parallel parking in a very large spot with easy to see flags, and I got my license. For my MC license, the tester followed me (on my BMW) in a car, drove around a few city blocks and I got my license. Here, if you do not practice the maneuvers before, you may not pass, most do not. Here after driving a car and MC for 10s of years (and consider myself to be an above average driver in ability and safety), had to practice the parking and S turns to pass, practice the MC straight line balance maneuver to pass.

Can you send me a link to the 400 questions ?

Believe for the multiple choice there is around 400. The true/false questions are the same as the multiple choice. If you add signs, multiple choice, true/false, you likely get a much larger number.

thb.gov.tw/TM/new_english/We … try=289#a1

Thanks Micahel!

Do not believe sticking you head out the window works. First, per the TW driving rules, sticking you head or arms out the window is illegal. Second, when exiting, if you cannot see where the you are with respect to the lines, you probably will not make it. You cannot see the opposite side of the car sticking you head out the window.

What is so hard about the driving test? Quick run down. The parking and S curves must be done in one continuous motion, no stopping, reassessing, and retrying. If you stop, there is a deduction of -8 or -16 (do not remember). Parallel parking is one continuous motion, in the US they allow a 2, a forward adjustment, not here. The backing out of the S curve is tricky and it is easy to get the car to a point were you cannot turn it without hitting the barriers (instant failure, -32). The reverse garage parking is hard because you cannot see the space line corner until it is too late, at which point you have gone to far and hit the far side pipe (-16). Afterwards you learn to start turning early, aim for the barrier corner first then when you finally see the space corner you can steer the car to it. Pulling in and pulling out of the parking maneuvers takes your front wheels very close to the medium line. If you touch it (-32) go home. Your must use your turn signal prior to every maneuver and turn in the road, if you don’t -16. Miss 2 turn signals, go home. This is especially annoying where there is literally a bend in the road (no intersection), but a sign on the side that say use you turn signal. The stopping on the hill takes some practice to get a feel for releasing the hand brake and getting the car moving forward without going backwards.

AFAIK, you don’t get penalized for sticking your head out the window.

You should learn to do this anyway. It’s essential when you need to carefully estimate distance, and parking up a trailer can’t be done any other way.

The test will always be hard if you make it hard for yourself.

This is because you have not understood it.

I used the term “institutionalised bribe” figuratively.

I have explained what I meant by it, given a link to the original context in which the term was used (and, I think, justified), and apologised for any confusion caused to the literal-minded.

That should really be enough.

That’d make hand signals illegal. Don’t think they are.

Question 11 From the Test Pool:
Passengers: (1) may stretch their arms and neck out the window (2) may
not stretch their arms and neck out the window (3) may stretch their
arms and neck out the window on summer days, but not when the
weather turns cold. Answer (2)

[quote=“Micahel”]Question 11 From the Test Pool:
weather turns cold. Answer (2)[/quote]

Err…Are you actually attempting to use a Taiwan Written Driving Test Question as some sort of guide to Reality?

If so, reflect a moment.

I think you know better than that.

[quote=“Micahel”]Believe for the multiple choice there is around 400. The true/false questions are the same as the multiple choice. If you add signs, multiple choice, true/false, you likely get a much larger number.

thb.gov.tw/TM/new_english/We … try=289#a1[/quote]

Varies according to county from my experience, probably Taipei only guaranteed to match,

Yes, that and other test questions made no sense.

Believe the question pool is for all of Taiwan. Took it in Taichung, the same questions.

The written driving test questions are not connected to the practical driving test or to real-life traffic laws.

Do you really think you would fail the driving test or get a ticket from the cops for having dirty or immodest clothes?

Real Question:
Clothing worn by drivers should be: (1) unrestricting (2) clean and modest (3) whatever they like, it doesn’t matter.

[quote=“Micahel”]Question 11 From the Test Pool:
weather turns cold. Answer (2)[/quote]

Realistic answer: (4) May stick their arses through the window if caught in traffic, and shoot crap to the bystanders. If the driver is a foreigner, this is not permitted, since that would be totally outrageous and he (or she) would be immediately deported.

There is no reality is the entire driving test experience, that has been my point. They purposely make it hard, but why? Maybe because there is no real road test and a simple drive around the parking lot would have been just to ridiculous. So hey, figure out how to make it hard. Throw in some unrealistic maneuvers and make some unrealistic rules.

We’ve been around the block on this one, and, since we are not Taiwanese, we shouldn’t STILL be getting lost.

FOLLOW

THE

MONEY

Maybe it has changed because before Kaoshiung, Taichung and Taipei all had different English versions of the questions.

Ok finally got my licence after my 4th driving test! Now here are a few tips for anyone going for theirs.First do not depend on the online test as your sole reference there are some questions that are not included on the online test so its best to download the questions from the ministries website and look over them as well. As for the driving test I would say its worth spending an hour and N.T 1.500 to go to a driving school to do a few test runs. Tips for the driving test would be to remember to look both ways before entering the car for the test and when exiting the car. As for the dreaded S curve just to let you know that when you are reversing the S it is fine if you hit the sensor as long as you do not hit the curb. When stopping on the incline remember to pull the parking break up and count to 3 before proceeding. And most import remember to always be signalling even from the moment you start the test ( thats right they expect you to signal to the left as you are going forward and before you reverse into the parking space!) . Good luck ! What a pain in the arse!