Have events in Ukraine made you feel more or less safe about Taiwan thus far?

• More secure
  • Roughly the same
  • Less secure

0 voters

It’s too early to say, but there are some encouraging trends.

5 Likes

I think Taiwan is getting ready to invade the Philippines to secure their caregiver resources.

16 Likes

Given the international support and Ukraine’s will to fight i think it’s much the same.

If it was an easy takeover then maybe I’d think different, but also I think the average Taiwanese isn’t ready to die for Taiwan like the Ukrainians seem to be.

8 Likes

I don’t think the CCP would survive these type of sanctions. Russians aren’t used to seeing their lives improve.

3 Likes

I wish there were some training workshops for civilians about what to do in case of a military invasion. We have those kinds of workshops in my country for learning what to do in case of earthquake/tsunami and my neighbourhood association in Kyoto also organized something similar.

6 Likes

Everyone knows you don’t bring a knife to a gun fight. This made me switch my mind about staying if things get BAD. Mind you I think Taiwan would surrender in a day lol

2 Likes

Hardly. Why would Taiwan surrender and give everything to China for free in a day?

1 Like

I’m not even sure why foreigners are so obsessed with the Taiwan China situation. China wants prosperity first power second.

China will thump its chest and throw a few toys about the bath tub. But that’s as far as they will go.

Putin wants to recreate the Soviet Union meat shield from Europe.

2 Likes

Looks over at HK…

8 Likes

Less safe.

Well… there are many reasons.

Taiwan has an effect on all of us. Especially those of us who use computers and smartphones.

We love democracy and lament when it is attacked. We care for the right of self determination for all peoples. Seems like Russia and China are the jealous ex boyfriends that can’t be told no.

Some of us live here and are invested in here. I personally love Taiwan.

We don’t want a totalitarian state projecting power and influencing our ability to express ourselves. China already forces movie studios to capitulate and censor movies and stories so as to not offend the CCP. The CCP attempts to pressure employers and companies to fall in line with CCP or suffer job losses. Think it can’t happen to you? The more dependent our countries become on China, the more they will capitulate as China turns off the taps. Welcome to the Nominal Democracy. Freedom of Speech except for when China is mentioned because they might turn off the taps.

Taiwan’s annexation affects Japan and South Korea as well as other neighbours. The things mentioned above will definitely happen to them first. Even in Thailand, Gui Minhai was dragged over the border. China entered another sovereign country’s territory to arrest people.

To not show care for our fellow man, is to be part of the problem. Apathy might as well be supporting the enemies of freedom.

Then they came for me—and there was no one left to speak for me.

We stand up for Taiwan and its democracy because it’s the right thing to do. We stand with our fellow man. We deserve our future full of freedom.

:rofl: It’s the other way around, they want power, fuck everyone else. You only can make money if you align your interests with the state.

5 Likes

That’s worth giving you another copy of a badge you already have. I don’t understand why some people get miserly on likes once it gets up to 9. Good posting is good posting, and the likes are free.

1 Like

The real question is why people get miserly after I get the Good Reply badge! I want my gold dammit!

1 Like

This maybe true internally. But we disagree so I will let you have your opinions.

And yet, 2/3 of the country live in what reasonable people would call poverty.

No checks and balances on corruption and no way to air grievances.

How can you represent people if you can’t even listen?

We are taking at cross purposes.

Read her other posts. She seems to be having a swell time in Taiwan. It’s a bit of culture shock and projection maybe.

China made the whole world their clients. The question here is: Are there going to be sanctions if China does that to Taiwan?

If the answer is yes, their economy will have serious problems. Factories will close and people won’t be happy. Don’t think that because the communists control the country they can do whatever they want. The only reason nobody is going against them is because of the better quality of life they have now compared with what their parents/grandparents had. The day you put the average Chinese in a situation that he is getting poorer because something their government did, internal problems will appear. Also, as it has been said, the Chinese already believe that Tw is part of China, and no one gives a f*.

If the answer is no, and the countries are afraid of sanctioning China, then we’ll have a problem, but I don’t think they will or need test this.

2 Likes

They aren’t communists.

2 Likes