Have you done a CEFR Test? What's your score?

Client asked me to provide some proof of my English ability, so I took a test.

Thought it would be a piece of cake, but man that is not easy at all. Even when understanding every word in the text and the spoken parts, it takes quite a bit of brain power to find the right answers. I guess, even some native speakers will find it a bit challenging.

Anyone done this before?

I am now the proud owner of this score:

1 Like

I did the quick test.

There were two questions I was not entirely sure about. I think the questions were wrong :wink:

The quick test is easy. Need to do the 50-min one. Actually doesn’t take that long.

Writing good test questions is hard, one would expect EF to go through the reliability and validity process though

1 Like

C2 is the best you can get on CEFR, well done

1 Like

Yeah there was this listening section. It said “The seminar will be interactive and engaging” or some such. Then the multiple choice had things like “So we can only ask questions at the end?”. None of the answers were quite right. I picked the one that I guessed they wanted. I forget what it was exactly. I think it was something like “Oh so we can speak up during class?”. That was the best answer, but in my mind, a seminar is not a class.

1 Like

I found the test is not just about understanding English, but also about memorizing and figuring out what exactly qualifies as a correct answer.

There was one section where some expert talks about rocket science. I listened twice and then had to pick two random answers for one question, because I just could not compute that much info at once in limited time, even when understanding every single word that was said.

1 Like

Probably not if it is interactive, but yes the answer isn’t obvious. Reading between the lines is a high level language skill

Ah, seminar doesn’t have one cut and dry definition, bad word choice on their part

This is a common sign of a bad language test

I got 100% for the quick test, and I am not a native speaker…

I also find that this kind of test only shows that someone is good at understanding a language, not at actually using it. Understanding a rocket scientist does not mean that you can talk like one. I definitely can’t.

1 Like

The quick test is for making you feel good and luring you in… :laughing:

1 Like

Productive language skills, speaking and writing, are harder to really test with a computer. That’s why IELTS has trained human examiners for this

3 Likes

Since that test is given by, if I’m not wrong, an ESL school, they probably make it deliberately difficult so you’ll want to take their classes. Taiwan’s GEPT or any of the other exams will probably give you a better result.
This is a list of CEFR vocab by level:
https://www.englishprofile.org/

If this is the same client with the other problem you mentioned, he’ll be asking you to take a CompTIA exam next.

1 Like

On Forumosa you can get plenty of practice reading between the lines. :joy:

2 Likes